cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Power of Attorney (Scottish)

I need to speak to BT regarding my mothers account/contract. I have Power of Attorney (Scottish). How do I go about setting this up please

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Power of Attorney (Scottish)

what are you trying to do - change it or cancel it?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

After the recent death of my father i am looking into her affairs and it would appear that she is being charge twice for Netflix.  Once by BT as part of a TV package & once by her original Netflix account.  Also she is 14 months into a 24 month contract which is very expensive.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

was the account in father's name or your mother?

I have asked a forum mod to see if they can help   they will post here

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 5 of 8

Thank you.  Its in my mothers name.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Hi @Matra in response to your first question, you can set up the Power of Attorney by following the steps on this link.

Does your mum have more than one Netflix log in name? BT would have taken over the orginal Netflix account if the same email was provided to us when it was being ordered. 

I'll send you a private message so you can get in touch and we'll be happy to help.

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

I have had Scottish powers of attorney for several people and have just set them up for my partner and I.  By and large, most small issues merely require you to say to the other party that you have a POA, and send them a scan/photo if necessary.    If they kick up a fuss, they will tell you what they need/want and you can supply that.  When setting up a POA, you will have been asked how many certified copies you need for the more formal issues. Most bodies are content with a photocopy of the original.  BT can be tricky as your first call will be dealt with by an English office, which may not realise that the law in Scotland can be different to that in other parts of the UK.

Message 8 of 8

We'll need the BT account number (it's on the bill) and we'll need to see a certified copy of the Lasting Power of Attorney (LPA). This means that each page will need a statement that it's a 'certified copy of the original' and must be signed by the donor, who must still have capacity. The same applies to an Enduring Power of Attorney (EPA).

We can also accept access codes (these need to be sent to us in the post) which will allow us to digitally verify your lasting power of attorney. This service can be used if the LPA was registered on or after 1 September 2019.

If the donor has lost capacity, a solicitor will need to certify a copy.

If you've got an EPA, it doesn't need to be registered with the Office of the Public Guardian (OPG) unless the donor no longer has mental capacity.

What will BT do when it receives the PoA or appointee form?

• Then we'll redirect the bills to the attorney/appointee - so if the donor’s BT account is online, the attorney will need to know the log-in details
  • We'll put the account onto our Protected Services Scheme to protect you if a bill isn’t paid due to exceptional circumstances

Send photocopies of the PoA (never send us the original) or access codes to:

BT PLC
PO Box 334
Sheffield
S98 1BT

or email to POA@bt.com 

0 Ratings