cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Preparing to leave BT

Go to solution

So, I have today taken the first step to exit BT by giving 30 days notice to cancel BT Sport . This will take me to the end of my contract. Broadband contract also ends the same day. Am I correct that I do not have to give similar 30 day notice for that to avoid penalty/issues?

thank you

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Preparing to leave BT

Go to solution

If your intention is to move to another provider using the same infrastructure ( Openreach ) at your current address , then around 10-14 days before the minimum term expires , contact your new provider and they serve your notice to BT, if leaving for someone not using OR network or moving to a different address and not wanting to use BT , you should give notice yourself  as the last month of the minimum term starts ( so your last paid month is also the 30 day notice period) … serving notice for BT Sport doesn’t affect anything else, so you need to either sign up with someone else , or serve notice yourself, 

There is a reasonable chance that there will be another bill after you have left , and you may well pay for a full month , and be refunded for some days after your BT service has ceased as billing dates ( when the bill is produced) may not align with your ‘contract’ date 

Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

Thank you. As I am intending to join a company which is part of the BT group I assume the first scenario will apply and no change of address is involved.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

I supppose the ideal, from a pure cost perspective, is to change providers at the end of every contract as the existing provider is never going to match what you are being offered as a new customer by another provider. I mean they are basically throwing in the broadband for free or line rental , whichever way you look at it but in 18 months it will increase to a more normal rate.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

@homerhotspur If its EE you are moving to then BT will be rebranding as EE at some point anyway so you not really moving away from BT as such. As in the long term BT will be EE.

Darren

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

It's not EE

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

Can't do any harm to ask If BT will price match, but also remember to include any cashback offered by the new provider.

But generally you're right, switching is almost always the cheapest option. It's a bit bonkers how BT (& others) will happily wave you goodbye rather than price match, & then pay you a load of cashback to return next time. 🤔