cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Repeated Failure to Connect FFTP for 8 Months, Order now Auto Ceased?

Hi everyone

Following 8 months of repeated failure to connect our broadband our order has now been 'Auto Ceased' and a new order started?? no idea why and no communications.

Anyone know why this may be, is this a dodge to not pay any compensation? Really disappointed in BT, and their  lack of communication (which is somewhat of an irony for a communications company) and could not recommend them to anybody right now.

But the Auto Cease has me genuinely worried my connection may never happen.... Many thanks

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Repeated Failure to Connect FFTP for 8 Months, Order now Auto Ceased?

As with many posts like this , without any context or relevant information , asking why your order has been cancelled cannot be really be answered with any certainty.
Is the property a new build ( you being the very first occupier of a brand new property ) is it in an area that is surrounded by similar brand new properties or a new build in an already established area surrounded by older properties, if so , do these neighbouring properties have access to FTTP or copper based services , is your property part of a MDU ( flats ) etc, etc, is there any other ‘ownership’ issues , would a third party need to give permission for work on something they own before your service can be provided, do you live in a remote area with no immediate neighbours that already have service, have you had a visit from Openreach or an Openreach contractor at any point , if you have , did they give any indication what the problem is .

If you were offered service that cannot be provided for reasons beyond your providers control , for example you live in a rented property and the landlord refuses to allow any ‘work’ to be undertaken on the property , do you expect that forever more you should be compensated because of that ?

To offer even an opinion on what the issue may be and if cancelling the order is understandable , you will need to provide much more information.

Message 3 of 9

@Jonrstorey 

I agree with @iniltous  but I would have expected BT / Openreach to have kept you informed of the progress & the issues preventing connection.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

Apologies, existing terrace property we have lived in for twenty years - FFTP upgrade became available so cancelled our existing copper line (with another supplier which we unfortunately cancelled and transfered my existing phone number back in early April) no landlord or third party issues - The problem was always Openreach messed up the initial survey and its not available until they have to put a cable 20m up the road to our telegraph pole.

The question is the auto cease - why would this occur and does it signal any other problem?
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

Post your  address return from this checker site 

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

The part in particular that are useful look like this , as well as the FTTP install process .

Our records show the following FTTP network service information for these premises:-Single Dwelling Unit Residential UG Feed with no anticipated issues.

Is your  address KCI2 Assure ?

The above is for an underground ducted feed , what does your show ?

If Openreach still have some network construction work to do , then obviously your address shouldn’t show FTTP availability , if it does show availability then that’s an error .

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

they originally surveyed and said everything was ok, otherwise neither of us would have proceeded, even on the day of connection back in April when their engineer attended and installed everything internally in y house stating they would be back in a couple of days to completed...things have not really progressed from there until we saw on the council website that BT had roadworks to my pole due at the end of February '24.

Then the unespected auto cease cancellation and now the roadworks have disappeared from the council website - feels like we are back at square one with no end in sight.

Vut thank for the advice Iniltous, snip fro  the website if you are able to decipher?

Jonrstorey_0-1702927285772.png

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

Your address is KCI2 Assure, so a two stage install ( preparatory work done in advance on stage one  ) and OH ( overhead feed ) via a joint user pole , so a ‘power’ pole ( one belonging to the power company , the  DNO distribution network operator ) used  to deliver the overhead ‘wire’ to your property.

There are understandably strict safety and usage rules about poles that belong to the DNO , they are primarily  to distribute the electricity supply,  a secondary use is that Openreach can also obtain a licence to attach their own cables to them , the separation between power and telecom etc need to be observed, in these circumstances, it can only really be a guess to what the issue may be , but OR cannot just provide a new CBT on a power pole , even if it’s got a copper pair DP on it , permission is needed for the new equipment before it can be fitted to a DNO pole .

I would imagine because your FTTP service is dependent on a third party ( the DNO ) if ( for example ) they have their own plans regarding that DNO pole , they could refuse any further attachments and the order then cannot proceed , perhaps in this circumstance , the Openreach policy may be to cancel the order before the second visit ( the second visit is the contractual date )  , so as you say , perhaps to remove the penalty for late delivery, by cancelling the ISP order before the contractual date arrives.

You have a reasonable argument that you  ordered in good faith ,  but the counter argument is  that if the DNO say ‘No’ , these are matters beyond Openreach’s control.

Irrespective of the issues , you should have been better advised, but that would be via your ISP , but beyond that it’s impossible for anyone on this forum to really second guess what the actual problem is , suffice to say power poles are  not a very common problem overall , but in some rural locations they can be ,  but that is of no consolation  to you, all you can do is ask BT to enquire with OR .

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

Thank you Iniltus

And apologies once again, this rime for my appalling typing in the last post, the joy of a dimly lit dell keyboard!

Well I would argue I have had my 'second' visit, on connection date when they installed all the inside equipment and it was only aborted when they discovered they couldn't actually connect to the pole.

Infuriating as i did question BT, when ordering, if FTTP was available and they assured me a preinstallation engineers visit would highlight any issues before proceeding further - that engineers surveyed a week before the connection date and they didn't see an issue and proceeded with the connection.

or non-connection as the case may be... well stuck now without a phone and a feeble 4G hub that trips up every two minutes causing me grief from the family.

Gist seems to be we are at the complete mercy of BT/OR and they could, in theory, string this out indefinitely until we give up and cancel.... again cannot in all conscience  recommend BT to anyone due to the lack of communication.

kind regards and a very merry christmas!

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

Well  I thought i'd provide an update.... some 438 days waiting and still not connected, given the umpteen connection date of 17th August but again not holding my breath.

Well over a year and still no broadband connected is not acceptable really - Must be a better system than this, not being able to complain to, or influence, Open Reach at all is a complete nightmare.

Sigh

0 Ratings