cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Setting up services after a house move

This is probably more of a moan than a request for a solution.  Several weeks ago in anticipation of a house move I contacted BT to initiate the move process. I was given to understand that an engineer would visit my new home the day after the move to set up a new hub and get me up and running. The hub arrived a week or so before Christmas. I heard nothing from BT so on the first evening in the new house I had a go at plugging in the new hub.  After a few minutes, all I got was a flashing purple light. Also, I had a dial tone on my landline but when I tried any number, the phone dialled but then I heard "sorry this call cannot be connected".

I contacted BT and they are now sending an engineer but that means I have to wait the better part of a week to get my services working.  I am deeply disappointed in BT as I did everything I thought I needed to do and in plenty of time yet I'm now left with no services until the engineer arrives.

If you are reading this BT, shame on you. Absolutely appalling service to a customer of 40 years standing.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Setting up services after a house move

what service did you have in previous home FTTC or FTTP?  what service do you now have in new home?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Sorry my friend I have no idea what you are talking about! I just had BT broadband, not fibre. Afaik no fibre at the new place 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

so are you using the openreach master socket to connect your hub in your old house and just the same in your new home?  if so you just need to connect the hub in exactly the same way as you previously had it connected.

normally home move is self install unless you paid an additional fee to get someone to come and install the hub for you

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

yes I have connected a micro filter to the main BT socket and a grey lead from the data side of the filter to the hub. Powering on always results in a flashing purple light

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

That will be because your service hasn't been activated. You have dial tone so the line is not faulty.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

So, after 1.5 hours on the phone to BT (mostly listening to dreadful music) we have established that the reason my service isn't working is because BT hadn't processed my move correctly and my new order for Halo and my subsequent engineer visit have all been booked to my old address. The lines to my new house have not been activated hence there is no service. BT can't activate the service at the new house until my erroneous delivery to my old house has happened so thanks to BT's rank incompetence I have to wait for that order to be completed before I can make a new order to get my services set up at the new house and no-one can tell me how long all this will take. 

I started the move process on 20/12 fully 3 weeks before the move. I have also moved British Gas, EDF, Sky and Thames Water seamlessly yet BT cannot carry out the same simple task. In the meantime I cannot use any internet as the mobile signal is poor at the new house nor can I use all the Sky TV services or mini boxes without my broadband.

40 years a customer with BT and this it the treatment I get. Pathetic.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

Hi @legoman26,

Thank you for posting. I'm sorry the order to activate the service at your new address hasn't gone smoothly. I would like to take a look at what is happening with your order.

I have sent you a private message with instructions on how to contact the team.  You can access your messages via the envelope icon at the top right of the screen, or click on this link, Private messages

Thanks,

Paddy

0 Ratings