cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 21

Trying to cancel BT contract

Go to solution

My contract ends on 24 June and I want to cancel my contract and move to a new provider . I phoned up last week on 1 June and cancelled, and have been told several times on the phone that my contract has been ceased and will end on 30 June (30 days notice from when I phoned on 1 June.  But I am still getting emails from bt asking me to renew “because my contract is ending”, and I have not had an email confirming that I have ended the contract and it will end on 30 June. This has been confirmed in 3 phone calls but they cannot confirm by email or letter.  How can I get confirmation that bt has cancelled my contract? Poor customer service from BT is the reason I am leaving - as well as cost - so I really want some written confirmation as BT had messed up my contract before. 

0 Ratings
20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21

Re: Trying to cancel BT contract

Go to solution

@SPalom 

You are doing this the wrong way, as a pending cease on your line will prevent a new provider from giving you service until all of the cease tasks close. This could take up to 10 days after the 30th June.

The correct way is to place an order with your new provider, and they will inform BT that they are taking over your line.

You will get a letter from BT saying sorry you are leaving.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 21

Go to solution

Ah - thanks for that. What a palaver! 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 21

Go to solution

The purpose of the process is to provide a seamless changeover between providers, with no loss of service.

The problem is now that you may already have a pending cease on the line if you have told BT you want to cancel. You will find this out once your new provider tries to get Openreach to provide service, as the order will fail and you will be without any service.

If you are moving to a provider that does not use Openreach, then it does not matter.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 21

Go to solution

Ok - but why can I not end my contract with BT when it ends on 24 June, giving them 30 days notice so it ends on 30 June now? They said if I didn’t cease the account when the contract ends that they would move me to a rolling month by month contract

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 21

Go to solution

And surely all of the cease tasks should end when the contract ends on 30 June?

BT have said that I can move to a new provider on 30 June,  as that is the day all services cease. 

my problem is that they have not confirmed this in an email and say that their systems won’t let them. 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 21

Go to solution

@SPalom 

As @Keith_Beddoe  posted you have caused the delay in moving as you have not followed the simplified termination/move procedure set out by ofcom. This will need your new provider to have to delay your move until line is released after the set out delay time 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 21

Go to solution

Sorry I really don’t understand this.

My contract was due to end on 24 June. 

The service and customer service from BT has been appalling so I have said that I want to close my account when the contract ends on 24 June rather than move onto a rolling month by month contract.

why can I not move to a new provider once I am out of contract? 

All I want BT to do is confirm in writing that my contract is ending. 

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 21

Go to solution

“This will need your new provider to have to delay your move until line is released after the set out delay time “ 

what does this mean please? I have phoned BT and they have said that a new provider can take over the service from 30 June.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 21

Go to solution

The post by @Keith_Beddoe e plains the delayed ause you have asked BT to end contract

When your BT fixed term contract ends then as per T&C you then move to rolling monthly contract.

If you had followed the OFCOM procedure then your move to new provider would have been trouble free

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings