cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

When re-contracting what happens?

Go to solution

I'm looking for some clarity.....

I'm on Fibre 1, FTTC, with a Smarthub and happy with it all. After receiving a "special offer" email I followed the links to re-contract on-line.

I select Fibre 1 and I'm told that when I re-contract I'll be "upgraded" to Digital Voice. The order then goes on to say that Smarthub 2 is "an option" at £100.

Eh? I thought Digital Voice would not work with my basic Smarthub so how is a £100 Smarthub 2 an option if it's needed to make DV work?

In order to make things clearer I called the Options team.

Initially the chap I spoke to said I could re-contract with exactly what I have now with no changes. Exactly the same - same price, same everything.

He then came back with an offer for Fibre 2 and a "free" Smarthub 2 for even less than I'm paying now. After a pause he then said maybe I could not have that offer (he seemed a bit unsure).

He said that in any case I'd HAVE to be upgraded to Full Fibre, even if I stay with Fibre 1. An engineer would need to visit to upgrade the cables and at that point I could decide whether I wanted Digital Voice or not. He than said maybe that wasn't the case. The engineer would probably advise me when they upgraded me and would probably bring a Smarthub 2 which I probably  wouldn't have to pay for if it was needed to make DV work. Probably. He really didn't seem sure.

When I asked if we could go back to the beginning and just have plain old Fibre 1 at the original price with same old hub, just like I've got now, he seemed confused (yes, no, yes, maybe, it depends).

So, questions:

If I re-contract for BT Fibre 1 will I have to take Digital Voice?
If I have to take Digital Voice will I need a new Smarthub 2?
If I have to have a Smarthub 2 do I have to pay £100?
Regardless of what package I choose, will an engineer visit to upgrade me to full fibre?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: When re-contracting what happens?

Go to solution

Can you check dslchecker to see if you can actually get FTTP. enter your phone number and post results

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

bt results.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

from dslchecker you can upgrade to FTTP and either keep same package you currently have or select faster fibre 100/500/900mb package with or without ability to make/receive calls.  you obviously still need to pay line renatl which is included in package cost

try phoning FTTP team and see what is offered to upgrade.  it is no more costly on FTTP than it is on FTTC for same package 08005874787

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

Thanks, I'll give them a call.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution
Has anyone managed to get through to BT? All I keep getting on both Sales and FTTP numbers is a recorded message that all advisors are busy and call back later or tomorrow"
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

Try again from tomorrow, there's a strike today (& yesterday) so staff numbers are down

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution
Thanks. I forgot about the strike.
0 Ratings