cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Why can my neighbours get fibre broadband and I cannot?

So I moved into a new build property 4 years ago and was told that fibre broadband was not available to any of the new properties at the time. Over the course of these last 4 years a good number of my neighbours have sucessfully ordered and are now receiving fibre broadband and yet when I check online or try to ring up and order it I am told that the computer still says it is unavailable to my property. The checks I have done all say that I am on the same exchange and the same cabinet as my neighbours and that fttp is available to them but again not me. Please could somebody help he out here because I don't know what else to do. Thank you in advance

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Why can my neighbours get fibre broadband and I cannot?

do you have broadband with BT?

is your address correct on royal mail database?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 3 of 7

Thank you for the reply

No I don't currently have broadband with BT or any other ISP because the speeds for normal broadband are so slow you can't even stream TV

If you mean is the address correct on the royal mail address finder then yes it is 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Try this link   https://www.openreach.com/fibre-checker

Also try entering your address and post results 

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

FTTP doesn’t come from a cabinet , so if your neighbour can get FTTP , the cabinet is irrelevant, most relatively new builds are offered FTTP as standard, but for a while the size of development was also a factor , if a builder constructed one or two property’s in the middle of nowhere or built on a vacant plot within an already built up area , then FTTP would necessarily be available, so what type and size of development are you on ?

If you are part of a relatively medium to large development and you neighbours in similar houses built at the same time can get FTTP then it would be odd for them to have access to FTTP and not you, it’s possible that someone paid for FTTPod and that enables very close by neighbours to them, to have access to the network the neighbour paid to have installed.

Post your checker return for you address from this site , and post the checker return for a neighbour that came get FTTP , indicating how close they are , ‘next door’  , ‘a few doors’  down , ‘across the road’  , that type of thing.

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Screenshot_20221118_180929_Chrom.jpgScreenshot_20221118_181020_Chrom.jpgScreenshot_20221118_181138_Chrom.jpgScreenshot_20221118_181216_Chrom.jpg

Both properties were built at the same time and when I spoke to the developers I was informed that all of the properties were built with fttp. I have neighbours 2 doors down who have fttp and also neighbours directly across who also have fttp. All of these installs have been done through BT and none of them have had to pay for any extra equipment or anything like that

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Because the DSL checker shows copper pair products well as FTTP for your neighbour who could ( if they wanted, presumably they haven’t done so yet ) order FTTP , means that although relatively new property, the FTTP has been provided as ‘retro build’ , not provided as the buildings were being constructed….in cases like this , although unusual , you can have situations where neighbouring property’s are either side of a boundary ( an Openreach boundary ) and one side of the divide can have FTTP the other side cannot , it won’t necessarily be obvious where this boundary is .
You could search the Openreach website, there is a form to fill in , along the lines of ‘My Neighbour can get FTTP but I cannot’ , that should get OR to check that it isn’t simply an error with records and your address is incorrectly recorded as not having FTTP access, but it’s also equally possible that your address cannot currently get FTTP , even if neighbours can.
TBH , it’s not likely that the developer is being accurate saying all the development can get FTTP , new builds that get FTTP from the outset ( so done as a ‘newsite’  rather than retro build ) don’t have copper pair access ( OR don’t provide copper and FTTP networks at the same time on newsites ,it was one or the other ,  as the houses are being built) , developments that gets ‘new sites’ FTTP ( so installed as the houses are being built , and no copper pair service ) have an ONT installed inside the property before the purchaser has even moved in  , presumably your address doesn’t have an ONT , and FWIW , neither does your neighbour at No.32

0 Ratings