cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Wrongful default on credit file

Would anyone please have some advice on what to do for a short term debt wrongfully recorded on my account?

I moved from my previous broadband supplier to BT back in December 2021. As part of the switch BT was supposed to cancel my account with my previous supplier however this didn't happen. Because of this I was paying for broadband with both companies. When I noticed this, I cancelled the account with my previous supplier and contacted BT who rectified the issue and credited my account with an amount to make up for the payments I made to my previous supplier as the account was not cancelled when it was supposed to be.

I thought the problem had been resolved, but then I check my credit report a while later as I'm applying for mortgages to find that there is a short term debt recorded recorded on my account with BT for the same amount that I was credited which was applied at the same time.

I know that the debt relates to the credit that was added, as my monthly bill amount comes directly off the credit that is on the account. Reflecting this, my credit report states that the debt amount with BT decreases every month for the same amount. According to my credit report I am paying the debt off monthly, when in reality the credit amount on my account is reducing monthly to pay for my bill. 

The credit that was added to my account to rectify the mistake has been recorded to the credit agencies as a 'small term debt' which has destroyed my credit score meaning that I have been declined for a mortgage.

I have phoned BT dozens of times and I cannot seem to get anywhere. I am being told to raise a dispute with Equifax which I have done. Equifax require authorisation from BT to make any amendments to my credit report, however BT are not acknowledging that there is an issue to amend. 

The responses I, and Equifax have received are along the lines of "Rory has a perfect payment history and is not currently in debt with us, therefore no amendments are required" (I have emails from BT and Equifax for evidence). BT are trying to say that they have not mistakenly recorded the credit as a debt, therefore nothing needs to be changed as his account is in perfect order.

This is not the case, I have provided evidence from Clearscore, and Equifax to say that there is a negative mark on my account which has been placed there by BT and given this to yourselves and still nothing is being done. Equifax cannot do anything without authorisation which BT are refusing to give.

I have already been declined for a mortgage and I need to have this resolved ASAP as my lease is coming to an end. Please can somebody reach out to try and help me, and please don't advise to contact Equifax because they cannot do anything at this stage unless something changes at BT's side of things.  @RobbieMac @JohnC2 @PaddyB @NeilO 

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Wrongful default on credit file

@RoryW 

Welcome to this user forum for BT Retail phone and broadband customers.

I am not sure a moderator can help with this.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

Hi @RoryW Thanks for posting, I'm sorry if your credit file has been incorrectly impacted. This is strange, I've never come across a case where credit on a BT account is showing as a short-term debt as it's money we owe you.

I'll send you a private message so you can get in touch with the moderation team and we'll try and find someone who can help.

Thanks

Neil 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

Hi, @DanielaSPMartins I'm sorry you have cause to complain, I've moved all your posts to the one thread as they're easier to follow. When a debt is paid after it has been recorded on your file it's marked as settled but not removed.

I appreciate you have mentioned that you were promised this was going to happen and will be happy to look into your concerns. Have you opened a notice of dispute with the credit reference companies as that's recommended when you disagree with a result?

I'll send you a private message in a moment so you can send us the details and we'll be happy to assist with your complaint.

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

Im having same issue when i switched to sky, sky was to close account and caused a late payment for a service from Bt i never was receiving.

I then rang BT to say im canceling and my calls will be recorded to prove this the month of the swap.

so i wasn't in any negative, but BT continued to say i had missed bills for 4 months!

BT have not been helpful at all.

3 months later I've been forced to pay nearly £300 and now i have a default on my experian report thats causing big issues.

Im in the process of speaking to the financial ombudsman to escalate this as its had a impact on me buying a new house!

I just need them to remove this from my file as the money was cleared in full even though i feel it cheeky that ive had to pay for a service i never received and canceled myself!

Im now looking for compensation for the problem this has caused me and my family!

Tags (1)
0 Ratings