cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

account holder change

im trying to remove my name as account holder and change it to my wife's. there are 2 reasons. 

1. i was recently assaulted causing brain damage and my faculties are deteriorating daily. my wife is not computer savvy at all so im trying to make things easier for her whilst i can.

2. the recent increase has made a big impact on our budget. my wife currently gets ESA so is eligible for the BB benefit rates but the account has to be in her name.

reading through past posts it appears a moderator has been able to do this in circumstances similar to our own. is this still possible?

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: account holder change

@marka1862 

Welcome to this user forum for BT Retail phone and broadband customers.

You would normally need to cancel your account and then your wife would need to take out a new contract in her name. That would result in cancellation charges if you are still in a contract.

A moderator may post here if there is any other way.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

thank you for replying. BT suggested this but its over £150 which is too much for our tiny budget

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

I think the only time a moderator has been able to help is if the existing account holder had become eligible for the BT Broadband Home essentials when they were paying the standard rate.

This would then be a simple billing change and would not affect the account ownership. In your case you would be best to wait until you are out of contract and then arrange for your wife to takeover your line using the Working Line Takeover process. You would normally lose your phone number.

Meanwhile you can of course change the bank details so the the money comes out of a different account, if that makes things easier until you are out of contract.

0 Ratings