cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

cancel contract for my elderly mother

I am writing with regard to trying to cancel my 89 year old Mother's BT package. 

She had a bad fall last month, and also has poor eyesight meaning she can no longer live safely in her house, which is now up for sale.  She has had to move in with us in Essex until we can find appropriate assisted living accommodation for her.  As I have Power of Attorney for her, I am now trying to get her affairs in order.

She has been a loyal BT customer since the 1960's and I would have hoped that in the difficult circumstances she now finds herself in, which are not of her choosing, BT would be sympathetic enough to cancel her account without penalty.

However, in talking to BT yesterday, we were told she would have to pay about a £400 penalty, which we find very unfair in the circumstances.

Any advice to help us deal with this situation would be greatly appreciated.

Helen

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: cancel contract for my elderly mother

@margaret-helen 

Welcome to this user forum for BT Retail phone and broadband customers.

I have asked a moderator to post here tomorrow morning, and offer help.

Message 3 of 5

This is a customer hélp customer forumand your post does not go to BT

I have asked the forum mods who are BT employees to help you and they will post here

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 4 of 5

Hi @margaret-helen I hope your Mum is on the mend. I'm sorry, it sounds like your call was not passed to our life events team who would have handled this completely differently and I apologise for the incorrect advice that was provided. I will send you a private message and the moderation team will be happy to help you with this.

Thanks

Neil

Message 5 of 5

I was in this position when my mother went into residential care. She only had a telephone line so no contractual issues. This may raise possible problems with the demise of copper landlines and introduction of digital voice via a modem so will contracts be reassigned? There has to be clarity on this provision. Hope your mother recovers quickly.