cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

trying to cancel BT contract

Go to solution

Hi,

We have been trying to cancel a BT contract for several weeks. We have telephoned several times and been told the contract is cancelled but never received email confirmation. I continue to receive emails from BT asking me to renew the contract, so BT knows my email address. I spoke today to another BT employee and again her emails failed to arrive. I discovered BT does not issue ref # for or use SMS for cancellations. The BT employee said BT has 'long-running issues' with sending emails. How can I get any confirmation BT has cancelled my contract? I am worried BT will continue to send invoices and, when challenged, will ask for evidence that I have cancelled the contract. Any idea how to persuade BT to give me some evidence of cancellation? 

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: trying to cancel BT contract

Go to solution

Hi @johnhowkins and welcome back.

It's been a really long time but fantastic to see you again. Sorry you haven't received the emails as expected. I'm sure I can help you. I'll need a few details so check your inbox for my message and drop me a reply with the details.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

Hi @johnhowkins Thanks for speaking with me earlier, I'm glad I was able to help. 

Neil

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

I had a difficult time trying to cancel my contract from early last December through to January this year. It was difficult because BT was unable to confirm by email or sms that the cancellation would go ahead. I knew BT had my correct email address because it continued to send emails about renewal. Thanks to the Community, the contract has now been cancelled.

BT promised at the time that 'once your contract ends, we won't charge you to cancel or switch to another provider'. It has now sent me a bill for £23.16 for 'ceasing within the normal notice period.'  BT is wrong about this, as we confirmed the cancellation within the notice period. BT has already said they would not charge us a penalty (but again did not send an email confirmation). 

Once again, BT has made a promise but been 'unable' to confirm it, and now pretends it never made the promise.

I am considering cancelling BT's access to my bank account but I have another BT account which I would like to keep and I am worried BT will behave badly and block that account.

Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

You already have dialogue open with the Mods, use that.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

Hi @johnhowkins, if your service was transferred to another supplier via the industry process you would be charged to the change over date. 

If you cancelled your service then you would be charged for 30 days from the date in December you originally requested to cancel your service: What’s this cancellation fee for? | BT Help

Cheers

John

0 Ratings