cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3

why is copper to the premises dearer than fibre?

I obviously don't know how to interpret my bill anymore! - I have fibre to cabinet & copper to the my home.

BB package Halo3 is £55.01 

Pay as you go £2.15 (got rid of landline as nobody could hear due to constant crackles & noise. Openreach never bottomed it!)  

Sport & mobile £25.00

Question? what does the BB package include?? 

Looking to go full fibre (that's a sore point!!!! we have fibre to the poles provided by 'Fibre Heroes' over 1 year ago but BT  say it's not available in our area???? - 2 neighbours have it and one is a BT manager !!!!!!!

HOWEVER! copper BB = £55.01 for 62mb d/l & 15ish mb u/l (can't confirm this u/l as BT is down again)

FIBRE upgrade is "only" £31.99 for 67-73 d/l & 17/18 ul.

WHY the difference???????

can anybody please explain. Thanks

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Re: why is copper to the premises dearer than fibre?

Halo is a benefits package added to your broadband ( it’s optional ) it also increases the base cost of broadband substantially…so it’s likely your broadband ( probably Fibre 2 , 80Mb ) is around £30 the remainder is the cost of Halo .
No point paying for a phone service if you don’t use it , the list price is £5 for a phone service on a PAYG basis , you could save what you pay ( a discounted price ) of £2.15 if you remove telephony , it is also optional.
Fibre hero’s will be an Alternative Network ( so in effect just like Virgin ) a network that’s independent of Openreach, BT only use Openreach network, that’s why BT say FTTP isnt available, no provider intentionally promotes their competitors, it’s understandable if you ask BT about FTTP , and Openreach FTTP isn’t ( yet ) available, they will answer , ‘sorry no FTTP ‘ .

Why the difference in speeds ?

If the figures quoted are for an upgrade and is cheaper , ( you don’t say who the upgrade is with ) , but it’s irrelevant from a ‘speed’ point of view, it’s the same Openreach FTTC product, the slight variations in the quoted download speeds 62Mb compared to 67-73 Mb is advertising statistical nonsense…the speed will be identical with another provider , the advertising authorities require providers have to say what a typical ( average ) user gets , based on their  user average speed on the same profile, whereas you have actual data from the line …if you get 62Mb now , that’s what a new provider will also deliver , not 73Mb .

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 3

Re: why is copper to the premises dearer than fibre?

The Fibre Heroes network has nothing to do with BT or  Openreach, it’s an AltNet so will have it’s own providers.

0 Ratings