cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

12 Months Free Xbox Game Pass System is **bleep**.

Go to solution

In about two weeks time I will be migrating to BT and part of the deal to join BT is a Free 12 Months of Xbox Game Pass.

So far so good and I had expected that it would be a type of 12 months Microsoft Xbox Game Pass Code, (of the type that you can buy from Amazon). - However, from Googling that is not the case and it seems that BT would take over the management of my existing Microsoft Xbox Account which is not something that I would want with my own Xbox Account and I do not know anyone who would want that.

For me that is a none stater.

I am feeling conned. 

This means that the advertized free 12 months is totally useless to me unless I can find a work around that prevent BT from gaining access to my main Xbox Account but I would not mind them having access to a completely separate dummy Xbox Account created just for use with the BT Game Pass if that can be done.

It is like offering new customers a free £100 to join them and then finding you need to give them control over your personal bank account in order to receive the free £100.

Will BT not just give new customers a 12 month xbox ultimate code from Amazon  that they can use instead of this rubbish or a £50 Amazon Gift Card ?

I phoned BT customer services but they could not tell me how it works, or much about it, which I found rather strange but she did say that it was operated and paid for by a third party. - Which third party operates it and what access do they have to a customers personal information when/if you agree to the T&C of this add on ?

To get some use from it for a family member: Can I set up a new, (ie. a dummy Xbox Account), just for use with this BT offer, and keep my normal Xbox Account completely separate from it so I can let a family member / children use the dummy Xbox Account for the free 12 months and if so, how can this be done ?

Can you have two separate Xbox Accounts?

Do you need to use the same email with your main BT Account and the Dummy Xbox Account or is that not necessary?

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: 12 Months Free Xbox Game Pass System is **bleep**.

Go to solution

BT have third party billing rights from Microsoft so you can subscribe to Xbox live and have it charged to your BT account. If at the end of the free period, you want to break the account away from BT and pay Microsoft directly for your Xbox Live, you can. BT aren't hijacking your account but giving you an alternative way of paying for it which the majority of customers are happy with.

Message 3 of 12

Go to solution

This is NOT advertised as being an alternative way to pay for your Xbox Gamepass. - (If it was it would get a very wide birth).

Amazon and some other companies have links with Microsoft which allows Amazon supplied codes to be used to top up your Xbox Account. - Nothing wrong with that as Amazon do not effectively then Highjack your Xbox Account as an alternative payment method and gain control over your Xbox Account as control over the account and payment does not need to be linked.

It is like BT gaining an agreement with your employer so that your wages are only paid in BT/Company Vouchers in shops controlled by BT/your employer or in the BT controlled Company Store. - Some may see that as a benefit in the BT world but most would not.

The real questions that we need answers to are:

(1). Does the Xbox Account used with BT need to have the same email address as the email address used with BT ?

(2). Can you link the advertised  free 12 months of Xbox Gamepass to a new/a dummy Xbox Account set up solely for use with BT so that you main Xbox Account is not effectively hijacked and is only released at BTs behest ?

(3). This is advertised as being worth hundreds of pounds to BT customers. - Can we have a £50 Amazon Gift Voucher instead ?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

Why is this thread showing as being solved?

Why were kudos removed ?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution

Why all the posturing? A simple google search finds the t&c's FYI - 

Xbox Game Pass Ultimate on BT ts and cs

Message 6 of 12

Go to solution

Obviously this post was edited by a Paddy B, apparently to assist me.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

The questions that I asked are;

(1). Does the Xbox Account used with BT need to have the same email address as the email address used with BT ?

(2). Can you link the advertised  free 12 months of Xbox Gamepass to a new/a dummy Xbox Account set up solely for use with BT so that you main Xbox Account is not effectively hijacked and is only released at BTs behest ?

(3). This is advertised as being worth hundreds of pounds to BT customers. - Can we have a £50 Amazon Gift Voucher instead ?

Does anyone know the answers to these queries ?

More BT Game Pass is Wonderful replies and/or here is a leaflet abut it does not provide the assistance/answers that I seek.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

@Perceptivewrote:

The questions that I asked are;

No, when the offer is redeemed you're directed to the Microsoft Xbox page to login with your Xbox account, they can have different email addresses.

@Perceptivewrote:

Link it to any Xbox account you have access to.

@Perceptivewrote:

No, It's an Xbox offer but from time to time BT/EE run alternative promotions with different introductory offers.

Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

-Richie-

Thank you for answering the questions that I asked.

To me; the way this has set up by BT is really poor and it just seems to be designed to control customers and lock in customers but at least this work around may be useful 

Personally, I have always preferred the old fashion way of locking in customers by providing excellent service at a good price so no one ever wants to leave.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

@Perceptivewrote:

To me; the way this has set up by BT is really poor and it just seems to be designed to control customers and lock in customers but at least this work around may be useful

It's done for convenience, saves having multiple debits - 1 provider + multiple services = one bill
Not everyone finds it useful but the same process exists for BT's offering of NowTV, Netflix along with Amazon Prime and Britbox which are now discontinued, I would imagine it also prevents abuse if customers choose to sell the codes, it's intended purpose is to build on the relationships.

BT simply take over the payment method, your account remains fully in your control and you can release it if you choose, it's an option which some like, each to their own but nothing wrong with choices.

Anything else just reply, otherwise have a great weekend 🙂

0 Ratings