cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 41 of 237

Re: BT cloud closing.

Anyway lot of noise on here but bottom line is alternatives cost around £100 per year and T&C’s must be reasonable and fair.

I’m off to raise a complaint and I”m really good at it. I’d advise others to as well despite the thoughts of the doomsayers.

Message 42 of 237

It isn’t a breach of contract - it’s the removal of a value added service. Stop jumping on the bandwagon of people who always think they are entitled to something!

The question is whether or not it triggers a right for you to leave your BT contract without penalty if you are within the minimum term (typically 48 months). 

For me it doesn’t (I’m not a lawyer) because it isn’t charged for and also they stopped offering it to new customers quite a long time ago now. 

Just focus on moving your data to a new cloud provider and stop talking nonsense about breach of contract! 

Message 43 of 237

What exactly are you putting in your ‘really good complaint’??! 

It’s just a waste of ink I’m afraid.

Just focus on transferring your data to somewhere new - it will be much better use of your time! 

Roger

Message 44 of 237

and also they stopped offering it to new customers quite a long time ago now. 

It was part of my re-contract on the 5th June, and one of the services I ensures was part of the package at the time of re-contracting.   They must have known then they were selling a pup then!!

BTW - Just because it has no monetary cost next to the part, does not mean it's free.   You are paying for that as part of your package, hence the name "value added", it increases the value of the package to you, same as when you purchase Halo 3, part of that purchase is to increase your storage to 1TB.  This has to be taken into account when comparing again other packages / providers.

But yes, I think it's more to do with doers it trigger the right to leave the contract you had with them, and I'm no lawyer either, so have no clue.  hence why I've email the CEO asking a few questions based on my own circumstances.  

Message 45 of 237

I  don't want to get bogged down in legal this or contract that, but for me it is pretty simple.

1. Never rely on any service linked to an ISP broadband service that doesn't have clear SLA's, which consumer contracts generally won't
  2. Don't waste your time and energy complaining, the only action that works is leaving at the earliest opportunity, telling them why if they ask

————————————————————-
BT Smart Hub 2 | Halo 3+ | Digital Voice | EE TV Pro | Sky Q | Apple TV 4K | LG OLED
Message 46 of 237

BT's claim that the cloud service is free is very shaky. There are genuine free cloud services - Google, Apple, Microsoft (and others) all offer a certain amount of free cloud storage. All they require is for you to create an account. These are free services.

BT Cloud is only available as part of a BT broadband package; you can't obtain storage there just by creating an account. Patently this is different from the true free services; you have to pay to get it. As such, arguments that they are withdrawing a free service are highly suspect.

Message 47 of 237

So what do you want Ian??? 

0 Ratings
Message 48 of 237

I want BT to abide by Ofcom's General Conditions regarding changes of material detriment to users and allow people to exit their contract without penalty, should they so wish. It would seem obvious to me that withdrawing cloud storage will be of material detriment to some people.

• The communications regulator Ofcom's ‘General Conditions’ for providers require that if changes are to be made to your existing contract that may be of ‘material detriment’ to you, your provider must give you at least a month's notice of this and allow you to exit your contract without penalty.
0 Ratings
Message 49 of 237

@ianjack wrote:

I want BT to abide by Ofcom's General Conditions regarding changes of material detriment to users and allow people to exit their contract without penalty, should they so wish. It would seem obvious to me that withdrawing cloud storage will be of material detriment to some people.

• The communications regulator Ofcom's ‘General Conditions’ for providers require that if changes are to be made to your existing contract that may be of ‘material detriment’ to you, your provider must give you at least a month's notice of this and allow you to exit your contract without penalty.

So when and what are you going to do about it, you have mentioned Small Claims Courts and Ofcom or are you just sounding off about it?

Message 50 of 237

@ianjack  I somehow suspect that BT bean counters and lawyers have been all over this like a rash and are convinced that they are perfectly entitled to discontinue the service.

But please go ahead and let us know how you get on.

0 Ratings