cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 13

CHANGING TO NORTON FROM McAFEE

Changed over from McAfee to NORTON Security as requested - tablet came up with a DECRYPTION UNSUCCESSFUL message and when I put in password it said Data Corrupt and only could only RESET to factory settings which lost me everything on the tablet - this happens every time I turn on my tablet - sort of Ground Hog Day - advice on Google indicates this is a problem far too serious for someone not into IT - tablet now useless!!!!

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Re: CHANGING TO NORTON FROM McAFEE

Have you tried clearing the cache first before doing the factory reset, it's not difficult but the exact procedure can vary a little from make to make.

You need to access the Android Recovery menu to do so, this is where the procedure can differ from make to make but generally it follows the same process.

1. Power the tablet down (power off)
  2. Press and hold one or both of the volume controls (sometimes volume up, sometimes volume down and sometimes both at the same time, you'll have to find out which applies to your tablet either by Googling it or by trial and error)
  3. Power on the tablet keeping all keys held for a couple of seconds then release them, power key first
  4. A menu should come on screen but if it's a Lenovo then you might get a picture of a dead android laying prone, in that case press and release the power key again.
  5. Select the clear cache option and wait for the menu to return
  6. Select the Factory Reset option
  7. let the tablet restart and repeat the set-up process  
Message 3 of 13

Thanks - have been through the 'solution' many times - reloaded Internet, etc, and working OK - turn off to test - on restart it asks for my 'old' Password (4 numbers) even though I declined this security feature when reloading and when I put in Password the next message is DECRYPTION UNSUCCESSFUL, Data Corrupt and you have to RESET TO FACTORY SETTINGS - Ground Hog Day!!  Will try to remove need for the PASSWORD?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 13

What Android version are you running?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 13

Android 8.1.0
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 13

I know from my own experience that the passkey is resilient to factory reset in Android 10 (I was asked to enter the last passkey on restart), perhaps it is also resilient in Android 8, I couldn't say. Try removing any security measures and restarting the tablet before trying to reset it again

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 13

Thanks again for your suggestions - sadly I've tried all sorts of deleting old apps and reapplying them with new passwords, etc, but can't find any Security Measures - every time I power off and then power on I get the same problem and have to Factory Reset! I cannot get rid of the initially requested Password, which is in fact a 4-figure number! Feel if I could I might get somewhere - any ideas or how you solved the Android 10 problem? At the moment I am keeping the tablet on all the time and never turning it off so at least I can use it!
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 13

When I reset my Android 10 tablet, I was surprised to find it asking for my previous pin number upon restart, I expected that to have been forgotten as part of the reset but clearly it wasn't.

I entered my old pin number (as requested) and continued with the set process as normal which was all that was necessary and I could have left it at that but curiosity got the better of me so I went back into Settings/Security/Screen Lock and removed the pin number, restarted the tablet and then did another factory reset and everything was fine after that

Message 9 of 13

Right! Went into Settings, etc, and managed to remove the Password - powered OFF - powered ON and all OK! Powered OFF and powered ON and back to the old Message, put in PASSWORD and a Factory RESET, grrr! Just to say I tried any 4 number Password , actually did 6 different ones and they were all accepted as correct! Went through the processes and instead of powering OFF, I RESTARTED and it was OK - 3 times a REBOOT worked OK as did a power OFF - sadly the next power OFF and power ON brought me back to a RESET! I had previously checked that the PASSWORD was still switched off!
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 13

I wish I could help but that's me stumped I'm afraid. The only way I can see any of that maybe happening (excluding a fault condition) is if the PIN number has been cached and not cleared which brings us back to my post at message 2