cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Deleted McAfee, Norton won't install

Having received the letter from BT regarding the new Norton Security package I have deleted all files & the McAfee application. Once I've downloaded the Norton software, it fails with 'we have detected incompatible security software, please delete Mcafee....". I have emptied the trash & rebooted the PC several times.....

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Deleted McAfee, Norton won't install

this has been raised on forum before have you used search as there are numerous posts about problems changing  Mcafee to Norton

https://community.bt.com/t5/Broadband-Extras-Apps-from-BT/Can-t-update-from-McAfee-to-Norton/td-p/22...

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

Searched through some of the resolutions, non seem to work for me (my bid is my email address). ridiculous that the letter has come out yet issues have been in place since day1. there should be a list of Resolutions v. issues instead of trawling around for ages. thanks for your quick response.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

from your description of the problem it seems like you have not yet managed to delete all the McAfee files on your device even though you think you have.  Norton is still finding some Mcafee file stopping install

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 5 of 9

Hi @swiftnic and welcome to our community.

Sorry you're having problems getting the Norton installed. @imjolly advice is sound. You might have some McAfee files on a device so can you try checking that and removing before trying the new install?

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

Try using the McAfee Consumer Product Removal Tool as shown here.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

I’ve gone onto Finder typed in Mcafee searched the whole of the PC , deleted & emptied trash. Not sure how else to find them? All it currently means is I do t have ant Security software at all at the moment.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

Hi @swiftnic 

Have a look at the guide below particularly at the sections at removing McAfee file remnants blocking the install of Norton.

https://www.bt.com/content/dam/bt/help/security/norton-security-mac-hard-block.pdf 

This should help delete the files causing the block to install Norton.

Stuart

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

Hi, I am just one of the community guys, but I had a problem removing Mcafee and I used the MCPR tool to remove what I thought was all the Mcafee files. But after checking in settings, apps, I noticed one Mcafee app had not been removed. If I remember correctly, it was the Mcafee web protect app, for Microsoft edge, which I just manually uninstalled, by right clicking the app and choosing uninstall. I then downloaded Norton from the BT site and all worked okay. If you did use the MCPR tool, then you will have restarted your computer which is important, in removing all Mcafee files. I would advise to check under settings, apps to make sure no Mcafee app is there. 

0 Ratings