cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

EE WiFi auto connect

As a BT broadband customer I had BT WiFi, now rebranded as EE WiFi hotspot access.

My devices used to auto connect to BT WiFi-X through a certificate installed via the BT WiFi app. In fact my iPad still does connect to EE WiFi-X in this way.

However because I have updated my iPhone it does not have the certificate and I cannot install one because the BT WiFi app appears discontinued. I managed to install the app from my App Store history but it is refusing to log in so cannot get to the certificate installation option.

EE does not have a similar app and there seems no way to install a certificate. So I am stuck having to continually log in through the EE WiFi captive portal which times out every few hours. This seems a hugely retrograde step.

Is there any way to reinstate automatic login to EE WiFi hotspots for BT customers?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: EE WiFi auto connect

Can you not just rescan the available wi-fi networks and select EE WFi?

On a phone, this would take you to an EE landing page where you can select the appropriate options and log in using your BT account details

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

I am finding this a PITA also, whereas before I would connect as I walked along a road. Now if I want to connect I have to do as you say, wait for the log in screen and put in my details . And it doesn’t remember if I have logged in before, so I have to do this every time.  Even if I turn on the auto log in in the network settings. It seems, like the country we are going backwards. 

Message 4 of 8

Can you not just rescan the available wi-fi networks and select EE WFi?

The point I am making is that you need to keep on re-entering the account password on the login portal. And then I have to do it for my wife too.

The app previously managed login for you. Now you keep on having to enter the details over and over, and because of the way the portal page works you have to enter the email user name manually. A totally retrograde step.

Message 5 of 8

I was on the chat yesterday to BT, the person on the other end was completely useless. They couldn’t understand that I was trying to log in to EE hotspots, though I was trying to log into my own. It took ages  and when finally they did realise They didn’t seem to even know that the BT Wi-Fi app had been dropped ad if you get it from previously downloaded apps you just get an error message when trying to log in. One of the worst thing is that customers were not notified in any way. Definitely as you say this is a backwards step. The bt Wi-Fi app used to connect to hotspots as I was walking down the street, it was brilliant. I have a complaint in place now with BT but I doubt any joy will come of it.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Re: EE WiFi auto connect MODS PLEASE KICK THIS UPSTAIRS

BT/EE need to get their act together on this as it has become a real PITA having to log-in to an EE hotspot manually every time I want to use one instead of the immediate auto connect that always happened with BT hotspots.

Installing the BT WiFi profile on a device was simple and straightforward but this no longer works with EE hotspots for a BT customer.

This is another addition to the ever-growing list of minor irritations which will encourage me to move elsewhere when my current contract ends – and I'm far from alone in having this view having discussed this matter with a number of other BT users whom I know.

Message 7 of 8

Nothing came of it. They passed it on and closed the complaint. At least this girl was understanding.
Message 8 of 8

Not surprised. I think this will need some concerted effort to get it sorted.

0 Ratings