cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Going Backwards BT Norton Virus Protect & Password Manager

I have spent the afternoon uninstalling the BT McAfee Virus Protect & True Key and installing the BT Norton Security and Norton Password Manager.

Observations:

1. BT's Norton Password Manager does NOT support separate password vaults for each member of the family. McAfee True Key provided multiple vaults

2. BT's Norton Security does not support Android Devices running Android 7 or earlier.  A Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 which was previously protected by BT McAfee is no longer protected

3. BT's Norton Security does not support iOS so it is not possible to run them to  protect the iPad and iPhone which we have

In summary, BT's Norton Security offering appears to be a retrograde step.  Devices I used to be able to protect are unprotected, devices I want to protect can't be protected and the Password Manager is less functional in terms of multiple users than the previous solution.

BT - Please advise how you plan to overcome these issues and when they will be fixed.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Going Backwards BT Norton Virus Protect & Password Manager

As the package is a freebie, not sure that BT is under any  obligation to overcome anything.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

I do not consider it to be a freebie, it is part of the Broadband contract!  I assumed that BT had chosen it as having a better performance than McAfee.  I installed it on my phone and on my laptop before I realised what a pain it was.  It is constantly posting notifications that are unnecessary when I just want serious notifications.  I am certainly not going to update my desktop until I am reassured that it is a technical improvement over McAfee.

The fraudsters are obviously well aware of the change, I have masses of fraud emails that the BT Spam protection has not stopped.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Agreed. It's not a 'freebie' it's part of the package you are paying for.

I too am finding it awful. Despite what all the support docs say, there's no way to import from TrueKey. I only have a handful of my 300+ passwords migrated so far when the Norton version prompts me to save if I happen to go to one of the web sites.

Unfortunately it looks like I might need to buy a replacement such as Nord, as this offering from BT doesn't appear to be fit for purpose. TrueKey was far from perfect but it did the job.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

I found the instructions for exporting from TrueKey and ImportingtoNorton quite straight forward, might be worth looking again at https://www.bt.com/help/security/anti-virus-software/what-is-bt-virus-protect-and-how-do-i-get-it-  and then scroll done the page and click the link How do I transfer my passwords from True Key to Norton Password Manager?  which gives the followinginstructions:

First, you need to export your information from True Key (or any other password manager). To do this:

1. Open your True Key application, go to App Settings and choose to export your password data
  2. True Key will put all of your private data into a file called truekey-export.csv and place it in your Downloads folder

... Assuming you have already installed Norton Password Manager and created your vault ...

You can now import your data from True Key (or another password manager):

1. Choose the Source you want to import your data from (e.g. McAfee True Key)
  2. Select the data you want to store in your new vault and press Import
  3. When you receive confirmation the import has successfully completed, press Finish

Important:

Don't forget to securely delete the truekey-export.csv file, once you've exported your information, by placing it in your device's bin and emptying the bin.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

My main issues are lack of support for individual vaults (one per family member) which TrueKey had and lack of support for iOS devices e.g. iPhone and iPad and lack  of  support for older android devices.  The "full fat" Norton products offer these features but the BT version doesn't.

0 Ratings