cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

How to Disable BT Wi-fi on my Home Hub

I would like to disable BT Wi-fi on my own BT Home Hub but can't work out how to do it.

I do not want to opt out of BT Wi-fi.  I just want to disable it in my home.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: How to Disable BT Wi-fi on my Home Hub

You can't disable BT Wifi without opting out.

Why should you have the benefit of it but not provide the service that others are so you can benefit.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

I use parental controls to limit internet access times daily to one of my children, but they have worked out that they can connect to BT Wi-fi when their router time is off so parental controls are now a waste of time. This isn't helping me, which is why I want to disable it on my Router.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

For your child to connect to BT WIFI they need to use your BTID and password which they must have obtained from you or the home. Just change the BTID password and that will stop access to BT WIFI.

As posted by @licquorice  you need to opt out of BTWIFI you cannot just turn off your hub

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 5 of 9

Then you need to opt out.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

Hi, if I opt out, does that disable the SSID broadcast from the router?

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

It should but it doesn't.

When you opt out both the BT Wi-Fi and the BTWifi-X should disappear after 28 days or so but the opt-out page isn't doing its job properly and hasn't done so for some time.

There's numerous posts on the topic on these pages.

Message 8 of 9

Hi @Les-Gibson , thanks for the quick reply.

I did read many other BT Forum posts on the topic, but most just seemed concerned about the functionality of other people logging into their wifi and piggy-backing on their connection (or otherwise allowing game addicted children to continue playing online).

But I didn't read anything that specifically mentioned that the SSID would (or should) also stop broadcasting once the 28 day opt-out had taken effect.

It should but it doesn't.

When you opt out both the BT Wi-Fi and the BTWifi-X should disappear after 28 days or so but the opt-out page isn't doing its job properly and hasn't done so for some time.

Awesome - thanks for the info!

I guess there's no point in opting out until that's fixed then! 🙂

For background, I've had BT broadband for a couple of years now, and always assumed the "BT Wifi" was a neighbour's connection! Until today, I never even knew this shared "BT Wifi" was something I had access to - either at home or anywhere else in the UK!

Anyway, cheers!

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

@SlimerDudewrote:

I guess there's no point in opting out until that's fixed then! 

I almost wish you hadn't asked that question but you did so now you're gonna suffer 😄

I only opted out in the first place in response to a post on here, what was being claimed sounded so ludicrous that it couldn't possibly be true - but it was.

The result now is that the opt in/out page only offers me the chance to opt in, ergo I have opted out, or have I?

It seems that My hub broadcasts the Wi-Fi X SSID on and off at random, the BTWi-Fi SSID is still broadcasting now some 5 or 6 months after the event and I can still use BT hotspots when I'm on my travels - ergo I am opted in

Confused? I know I am.

0 Ratings