cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 21 of 32

Re: My BT - ‘Test my Speed’ not working

@Ewan1 

Did you use an Ethernet cable? I’ve never seen speeds like that using Wi-Fi and I am on Full Fibre 900. Using an Ethernet cable and USB-C to Ethernet adapter, Fast.com returned a download speed of 1.2Gb/sec on my iPad Pro (4th Gen). However, while very welcome, that was an isolated result. Multiple testing returned average results between 900Mb and 1.0Gb/s download and upload speeds were generally around or >100Mb/s. This was confirmed by other speed testers, including Ookla. Using Wi-Fi on the same device, download results are usually between 400 and 500Mb/s and uploads around or >100Mb/s which are more than satisfactory for our domestic requirements.

Again, it’s important to note that these latter Wi-Fi speeds are not covered by BT’s Stay Fast Guarantee. Rather it applies to actual speeds achievable under your contract via fibre from your local exchange/cabinet direct to your hub/router.

0 Ratings
Message 22 of 32

@ cruachian

Yes this is using a Cat 5e ethernet cable.

As WIFI is half duplex you will never get full speed over WIFI

I have a U-Green USB to Ethernet cable that I use on my old desktop PC as the ethernet connection on the motherboard can't handle the speed. I get around 750MB out of that. With converter cables quality is the key as cheap ones are unlikely to deliver top speeds.

NB Fast.com is not a reliable speed test as it tends to over state the download speed significantly

Finally BTW Performance Tester (btwholesale.com) is acceptable for BT speed guarantee

Hope this helps

Message 23 of 32

Not working at my end as well 

0 Ratings
Message 24 of 32

@Ewan1  wrote:

“NB Fast.com is not a reliable speed test as it tends to over state the download speed significantly.

Finally BTW Performance Tester (btwholesale.com) is acceptable for BT speed guarantee

Yes, I did wonder about Fast.com and I’ll certainly keep btwholesale.com in mind in the, hopefully, unlikely event I need to raise a complaint with BT.

Many thanks for your informative and helpful input.

0 Ratings
Message 25 of 32

Ran the My BT app this afternoon and, wait for it….. the ‘Test my speed’ is working again!! I ran the module 4 times - 3 times it worked providing all the expected info and once it stalled before completion requiring a restart of the app. Fingers crossed!

The front end may still be a bit flaky: After logging out, unless the app is restarted with the minimum delay, it still advises the user has been logged out and forces the rigmarole of formally logging in, resetting the pin and reactivating the Face ID. Edit: This may be a one-off as it now seems to be using the Face ID to move through the pin page (which is now pre-filled) into the home page of the app.

Whether the multiple similar threads on this forum have had any bearing on the outcome will likely remain a matter for conjecture as it is very unlikely we will be privy to behind the scenes activities.

0 Ratings
Message 26 of 32

Yes I noticed that it’s back on 

0 Ratings
Message 27 of 32

Same is still happening for me

even deleted and reloaded BT app on iPad and also restarted hub

very frustrating and no one at BT putting things right

Test my speed module is not working currently. It starts, whizzes around the progress circle to 100% and returns the message: We’re sorry, something went wrong

0 Ratings
Message 28 of 32

All I can say is the speed test is working on Android

Maybe some Apple users can comment?

0 Ratings
Message 29 of 32

Just checked again and still not working on my ipad12 or iPhone 11pro

”unfortunately the speed test failed”. ⚠️

0 Ratings
Message 30 of 32