cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

My BT app 'control wi-fi access' for devices not working

I used this function of the BT app everyday for controlling my kids screen time through having schedules set up and instantly restricting WiFi access for bad behaviour, but for the past month this function has not been working. Nearly all devices now appear as 'unknown device' or a random code which it lets me rename but then instantly forgets! It's lost all it's 'group devices' and schedule information, and also instantly forget any new ones I create.

I have reset my hub, uninstalled and reinstalled the app but this hasn't helped. Has anyone had a similar issue? And were you able to resolve it? 

This really was the most useful part of the My BT app for me so it's disappointing it's no longer functioning.

Thanks in advance

Edit: App also often forgets my login details, causing me to have to enter my email and password and to create a new pin over again

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: My BT app 'control wi-fi access' for devices not working

@AllySuth 

If you have any Apple devices, and private address (MAC Randomisation) is enabled, then you will not be able to control access, as the identity of those devices will keep changing.

Private addressing is turned on by default, and can be controlled by the device owner. This will cancel out any settings you have implemented.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

@Keith_Beddoe  thanks for the reply, there's only 1 Apple iPhone in the house, I have changed the setting on it now but this hasn't helped resolve the problem

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

If you have disabled Privat Addressing, then the app should show the default MAC address for that device, so in theory, you should be able to control it.

See https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-setup-Wi-Fi-network/Private-Address-MAC-Randomisation-IOS14-Apple-d...

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

@Keith_Beddoe  I maybe haven't described the problem clearly. I've attached some screenshots of what I see when I go into 'control wi-fi access'. I try to rename the 2nd device in the screenshot to something useful, which it lets me do for a short while then it reverts back to what you see here. The same goes for adding devices to the group's, it lets me do it but reverts to having no devices in the group's, and also the same for trying to 'pause WiFi access' for individual devices. The app worked perfectly well for years and was very useful to me as a parent, so I really hope there's a solution

Screenshot_2022-11-05-09-29-05-99_60beace981561cda3d9a686e2b3690a0.jpg

Screenshot_2022-11-05-09-29-28-07_60beace981561cda3d9a686e2b3690a0.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

I do not use a BT Home Hub, but reading what other people have said, I would not rely on what devices are showing, as those unknown devices that are showing connected, are probably not connected, and are just the same Apple device, before you disabled private addressing, and the ARP table is still holding the entry.

See if another forum member has other ideas.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

Hi,

I have the same issue, after the recent update. I can no longer restrict access to any device, even though no settings etc have changed.

I wonder if there are older versions out there that we can revert back to? to see if that fixes it?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

forgot to say. The speedtest doesn't work half the time either.
0 Ratings