cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Norton Nightmare

I have changed over to Norton and it is sending me potty.  I get several pop up messages about restarting my computer everyday.  

The previous system worked quietly in the background.

Please bring it back

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Norton Nightmare

Its a freebie, nobody is forcing you to use it. There are many other free AVs to choose from, including Windows Defender

Message 3 of 9

@citizenzwrote:

I have changed over to Norton and it is sending me potty.  I get several pop up messages about restarting my computer everyday.  
The previous system worked quietly in the background.
Please bring it back

If you were running McAfee; there could be some residuals that require uninstalling/deleting. Run the McAfee Removal Tool. It might then require an Uninstall/Reinstall of the Norton product.Quizzical 0.png

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

To some extent it is part of a deal which I pay for.

I am not best pleased that instead of Mcafee which seems to have worked well, I am being given a product that is useless and disturbs what I am trying to do on my laptop with a constant stream of pop up messages which will not go away.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

McAfee was widely regarded as junk and I guess some people will have welcomed the change. If Norton had been BT's choice when you signed up you presumably would be content with it. I rejected both of them and have had no issues in years of using Windows Defender for the same cost.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Message 6 of 9

If you want to use Norton, you can turn off notifications etc by going into the settings.

There is information how to do that freely available on the Internet. Just search for "How to turn off Norton pop ups".

See link for just one example of how to do it.

How to Stop Norton Pop-Ups (alphr.com)

or better still uninstall it and do as suggested if you use a Windows computer use Microsoft Defender which comes pre-installed and just works away in the back ground and to some extent it is part of the deal you paid for when you bought your computer.

Message 7 of 9

Norton is not as good as McAfee.

Think BT have made a mistake in changing to use Norton.

I used Norton many years ago and never really liked it back then.

I only using Norton as its free from BT. For there is no way I would pay to get Norton again

I also get pop ups from Norton every now and again.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

@ney wrote:

I only using Norton as its free from BT.

As already suggested, why don't you use Windows Defender then? If it's because you don't have Windows there are several highly-rated AVs available free online.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Message 9 of 9

I do use Windows Defender for part of my laptop protection but the rest is Norton and was McAfee until BT changed to Norton.

The free AVG seemed ok but the Firewall on the free AVG could have been improved. I going back to the early 00s when I used the free AVG.

Darren

0 Ratings