cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Norton Safe Search replaces Google - Where are Images?

Along with others,I noticed,now that McAfee has been replaced by Norton that my Google Search Results had lost their Green,Grey and Red warning ticks.Delving into Norton possibilities I noted that the "Safe Search" through them instead of Google DID have those warnings so approved all Extensions/Apps and installed them as the Default search Engine.

I'm pretty sure I will have to revert to Google as I'm not keen on the Norton Results,but wonder if anyone has a Solution to my main "beef" that Images seem to be really difficult to get to.On Google I could Search "All" for anything and then "Images" for large amount of Photos for that Search - currently while using Norton Safe Search when I  Search "Web" I get similar returns as Google (but,to me,inferior as there appear to be more "Adverts" for what appear to be Norton's Pet Sites given priority) but,worst of all,if I select "Images" often there are very few or,regularly,"did not match with any results".

Sorry if somewhat unclear - so,as an example, if I search for "Bath,Somerset (my Hometown) in 1960s" I get NO Images on Norton,whereas,on Google I get many relevant Photos.

Before I remove all Norton Internet Apps/Extensions and revert solely to Google again,can anyone suggest something I may be doing wrong that is causing this difficulty,thanks.

Graham

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Norton Safe Search replaces Google - Where are Images?

It's difficult to pinpoint your problem, and what you are trying to do.
The "safe/unsafe/?" indications (in Norton) at the side of search result are always there with Edge. This is the important point.
These safe searches can be browser dependent. Norton says that safe search is compatible with Edge, Mozilla Firefox, and Google Chrome.
I have no trouble with Edge:- e.g. it gives those options to search for pictures. However I never search for pictures, directly...just put pictures into wording of the search.
Google always prompts to install Chrome, something which I avoid by instinct...as Edge is sufficient. 

Perhaps some of the other users may comment.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Thank you for your prompt reply.However,my preference is for Google Chrome over Microsoft Edge and,at the moment,I can see only one advantage of Norton Safe Search over Google Chrome with many disadvantages including the ones I have mentioned above.The one advantage?- When I select "New Tab" with Norton Safe Search I have added "Quick Links" of Websites I use less often (that were in "Other Bookmarks" to save cluttering "Bookmarks Bar") and these are more readily accessible.

Also,to the suggestion that I add Pictures to my Search I mentioned - I've just done that searching for "Photos of Bath,Somerset in 1960s" and it came up with when I select Images - Nothing!"did not match with any results".

Anyway,as people start using Norton Safe Search to replace Google Chrome I'd be interested if they find it better than or as good as Google Chrome and might mention any benefits,but I suspect I may return to Google as Default Search Engine and it looks though I may be able to just use Norton Safe Web with that to include the Green and Red Ticks.

Graham

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

You can set Norton Safe Search as an extension to Google Chrome, in the same way as you set it to Edge.

Chrome should retain its functionality, with the additional notifications re safety.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Yes,thanks for your help.That is what I am now doing.But I'll keep an eye on this thread in case other people actually find Norton Search useful or an improvement or becoming intuitive,which I'd be interested in (but doubt,especially rgarding those Images!!).

Graham

Message 6 of 6

PS: I now notice that having reverted to Google Chrome with Norton Safe Web installed that on the New Tab Page I can also add Shortcuts (that were previously in Other Bookmarks) - this is,possibly,an improvement but,perhaps,it had always been there and I'd never noticed it,So that's a Plus!
0 Ratings