cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Public Wifi and Unwanted broadband users

Go to solution

I look after the broadband for an elderly relative and have a PC on site with full remote access.  I am 200 miles away from the house, and use the web interface for the router, but the features I am looking to change are for some mindnumbing reason now on the app only.

We have carers visit the house of the relative, and one of them keeps accessing the wifi instead of working.

I wanted to use access control, but this is on the app.  I am unable to visit ffor a few months, and would like to block them from accessing the wifi network (I will change the password as a last resort) but other devices may be affected.

I am unable to use the app as it wants to join the wifi network from the router, and the wifi signal does not reach the 200 miles here so that does not work.

I want to turn off public wifi as well, but that is on the website only and the BT supplied how to: How do I opt out of BT Wi-fi? | BT Help does not relate to what is on my web login.

Anyone suggest how to get round the issue please?

Edit: I have turned off wifi as all connected devices are via hard wired google mesh, but would still like to know how to turn off public access please, was on BT chat for 50 mins and called BT but wait time was 40mins

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Public Wifi and Unwanted broadband users

Go to solution

Contact the carers employer and lodge a complaint and inform them that you no longer want that carer in the house. 

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

An excellent suggestion, and already done. Sadly getting decent carer companies is not easy, since Brexit they have had issues getting decent staff and whilst I agree with the sentiments of your reply, I want to remove the temptation.

Wifi is now off, but public wifi is on, and I would like to switch this off.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

@123abc 

You need to go into the BT account and disable BT wifi so the router will not broadcast BT/EE wifi.

Having said that you can DISABLE the wifi in the router not just turn if off.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

Where in the BT account would the disable BT wifi be please?  With Disable all Wifi does that also stop public wifi?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

Hi @123abc 

To stop Public WIFI from your router please follow the instructions at How Do I opt out of BT Wifi

If you'd like to completely disable/enable all WIFI from your hub, just visit How do I turn wi-fi on and off on the BT Hub?

Ali

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

@123abc 

Yes disabling wi-fi turns it all off.

Probably simpler than trying in the BT account anyway.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

Thank you all for the prompt replies and advice.

All now disabled. 

I’ll connect the app when I’m next over there.

0 Ratings