cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 14

Server Error switching to Norton

Hi,

I get this Server Error below (as I've seen many others on this forum) from the link in the letter from BT - www.bt.com/updateyoursecurity

I've now wasted many hours trying to install/fix this. I've been on chat with Norton who controlled my PC and they couldn't install it (all they did was uninstall Mcafee), I've tried on Windows 8.1 PC and Windows 10 laptop neither work, I've tried from Account Manager and Account Holder both have a different server error message, tried 4 different browsers.

I can see from the posts on here this issue has been ongoing since December so why is this still ongoing?

hexagon4_0-1647967056640.png

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14

Re: Server Error switching to Norton

Hi @hexagon4, welcome to the forum, and thanks for posting. I'm sorry that you're having trouble changing over to Norton. 

Please would you confirm that your Primary BTID is an Email address?
Check that the Primary BTID has the account holder status claimed on it. 
Finally, do you have more than one account linked to your BTID? 

Cheers
John

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 14

If it just anti virus and ransomware you are worried about you don't need anything other than Microstft Defender.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Defender 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 14

Hi John

Thanks for your reply, is my primary ID the Account Holder one? If so I can't log into email on that one no and I've never used it for email

My email one has Account Manager status and I get a different error from Norton on that

I have requested my email one is changed to Account Holder and am waiting for a PIN in the post

best wishes,

Steve

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 14

Hi @hexagon4, thanks for the update. Once you receive the PIN and update your email address BTID you will then be able to switch over.

Post back and let us know how you get on and if you need further help we'll be happy to help you.

Cheers

John

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 14

Hi John

I received a letter from BT today assuming it would be the PIN but instead it was a 3rd letter telling me to switch to Norton before 31st March otherwise my security will expire!

This is quite frustrating, BT have noticed I haven't switched yet but not that I've tried about 20 times to do so 😞  Knowing many people have the same issue switching why isn't it mentioned or even better provide a dedicated phone number to someone within BT who is aware of this problem to help? There is no contact for assistance at all and I've read in other threads people calling 150 are met with advisors who know nothing about it. As I mentioned I contacted Norton who also couldn't fix it they just wasted an hour on my PC uninstalling McAfee and deleting windows temporary update files.

What happens if my PIN to switch my email account to being the account holder doesn't arrive before the 31st? Will I then loose my licence for virus protection as that is what the letter threatens? 

Is there a way to make my account holder (hexagon4) an email address account so I can then try updating that way?

I was a BT employee for 30 years & made redundant last year, could having my account switched from employee broadband last year have anything to do with this issue ?

many thanks

Steve 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 14

Hi @hexagon4

Thank you for posting back.

I'm sorry that you're seeing a "server error" message when trying to download BT Virus Protect powered by Norton.  It's likely that your BT ID isn't set up as the primary ID.  Check out this link for guidance on how to make your BT ID the primary.

What is BT Virus Protect and how do I get it?

If you scroll down the page a little, under where it says "need more support?" you'll see the drop down link "Why am I getting server errors?"

Post back and let me know how you get on.

Thanks,

Robbie

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 14

Thanks Robbie

Sorry but that's quite a frustrating answer, if you read my post I've already done that. Also linking back time and time again to that page is like going around in circles!!!

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 14

Hi @hexagon4 

Thanks for posting back.

We'll take your details offline to give you a hand from here.  I have sent you a private message with instructions on how you can send us over your details and we'll look into this for you. See: Private messages

Thanks,

Robbie

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 14

Thanks Robbie however that link to private messages says I have 0 of 0 private messages? 

0 Ratings