cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 16

When did BT announce that WIN7 was no longer acceptable platform for BTCloud

I run the BTCloud App every Sunday on my WIN7 PC .... have done for a very long time ...

Last Sunday, it started but I realised after a short time it had just stopped - a restart didnt even get it started & show its Icon in the Taskbar ... In Events Viewer it showed a Program exception - details posted in another BTC thread here.

Some investigation after being unable to Download a new copy showed a Help note saying BTCloud would only run on WIN8, 10, 11    ....

Thanks so much BT !

Why has this been done - OK, MicroSoft dropped Support for WIN7 some tim eback - but it runs well - even gets AntiVirus MS SE updates    ... so why is it suddenly not good enough for BtCloud .

?

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16

Re: When did BT announce that WIN7 was no longer acceptable platform for BTCloud

I discovered BT cloud was not working a few weeks ago so got onto BT helpdesk, totally useless waste of time even when I asked if it had anything to do with my still being on Win7 they were still clueless, if it really is the case that BT cloud no longer works on Win 7 then neither their customers or their own helpdesk have not been informed, what a **bleep** service.

Message 3 of 16

Re: When did BT announce that WIN7 was no longer acceptable platform for BTCloud

I don't think it was announced but the information is there in a typically muddled and inaccurate BT (so-called)help page (We are currently in the process of updating the BT Cloud software for Windows computers to version 21.2.8.)

• The BT Cloud software is compatible with Windows 8.1 and above. If you use Linux or an older version of Windows then you won't be able to install the BT Cloud software. You can still access BT Cloud on the web at btcloud.bt.com >
  • Get the latest BT Cloud version for your PC >
  • Open the BT Cloud app, and log in using your BT ID
  • Once you’ve got BT Cloud installed, you'll be automatically prompted to download any updates

Getting started with BT Cloud | BT Help Expand "How To Get It"

Message 4 of 16

Given that BTCloud is no longer offered to new broadband customers I would suggest that sometime in the not to distant future it will also be closed down for current users.

If I were you I would not waste my time trying to get it to work and start looking for another cloud storage system.

Message 5 of 16

Yes, thats a pragmatic approach.

Would still appreciate an 'Official' answer tho ... its really unacceptable !

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 16

I doubt you will get an "Official" answer.

Windows 7 is a 14 year old operating system. In terms of IT that is very old and as you have said, it is no longer supported by Microsoft as of 2020.

If it is not supported by the manufacturer of the Operating system it means that there will be no security updates and through time it becomes very vulnerable to attack.

In view of that it is entirely up to any company that offers IT products that do/did run on an obsolete Operating system to decide if they want to continue making their product, in this case BTCloud, to be able to work on a non supported Operating system and all the security dangers that may come as a result of that.

It will also be the case that because the W7 Operating system is so old, lots of programs and apps that did work on it will no longer work with the latest programs and apps that are developed or updated to work on newer Operating systems which contain different computer code and work in a different manner. To keep the program or app working on an older system and newer system would most likely require additional resources which will just not be viable.

This has been happening since Windows 3.1 and will no doubt continue through all generations of Windows to come.   

Message 7 of 16

Fully understand what you are saying, my gripe is more about the fact that cloud just stopped working and BT never deemed to inform customers this was going to happen. I was under the impression I was still syncing via the desktop app for a couple of weeks before discovering I was not, only after accessing what I thought were up to date documents from another computer only to find they were an old version. As mentioned before BT Cloud helpdesk were as much use as a chocolate teapot.

Message 8 of 16

WIN7 still gets Virus Protection updates via MS SE   ... so unless BT were to upgrade BTC with feature/function not supported by WIN7 your arguments are not relevant.

I agree with the latest Post that it would have been professional & courteous to inform Users that they were going to be chopped off at the Knees.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 16

@speedtrip wrote:

WIN7 still gets Virus Protection updates via MS SE   ... so unless BT were to upgrade BTC with feature/function not supported by WIN7 your arguments are not relevant.

Perhaps you should inform  the UK's National Cyber Security Centre – the cyber arm of the GCHQ intelligence service who issued this advice "We would urge those using the software after the deadline to replace unsupported devices as soon as possible, to move sensitive data to a supported device and not to use them for tasks like accessing bank and other sensitive accounts. They should also consider accessing email from a different device."  and while you are at it copy in the American FBI the other cyber security firms who have all obviously got it wrong.

Not all security issues relate to Viruses. With out Security Updates W7 is at risk from computer hacks coming through any unpatched security vulnerabilities. 

However if you are happy to keep using it that is entirely your choice.

Message 10 of 16

Sigh ... one of the most pompous responses I've ever seen.

The fact that BT didnt announce withdrawal is the point of this Thread.

0 Ratings