cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 16

why am I now being forced to have an EE hotspot when I contracted for full fibre into my house?

Go to solution

I was perfectly happy with BT wifi in my house through full fibre and use of a third party supplier for all phone services on that network. I do not need a vast number of EE wi-fi hotspots (and I have all sorts of reservations about them, especially if one of them is mine).  Maybe there are advantages - without additional costs and perhaps even with cost savings - that I'm unaware of . Please would someone tell me what they are. 

Is it also the case that if I opt out of EE wifi  (bizarrely  I'm told by deleting  my BT wifi which for the moment works but I read that may not last) I will be left with no way to the internet except by an EE hotspot as I'm locked in a BT contract.  

counterintuitive

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16

Re: why am I now being forced to have an EE hotspot when I contracted for full fibre into my house?

Go to solution

If you were happy with BT WiFi, I don't understand why you are unhappy with EE WiFi which is exactly the same thing with a new name.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 16

Re: why am I now being forced to have an EE hotspot when I contracted for full fibre into my house?

Go to solution

I've read the post three times & still have no idea what the question is?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 16

Go to solution
Does it cost exactly the same? Do hotspots guarantee the same security and speeds as a fullfibre line into my home? Does EE guarantee not to interfere with third party suppliers of phone services and prevent my phone working as I expect? I don't experience it as "exactly the same".
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 16

Go to solution
Maybe there are advantages - without additional costs and perhaps even with cost savings - that I'm unaware of . Please would someone tell me what they are.
Otherwise, why does my contract seem to have been changed without my consent?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 16

Go to solution

For many years BT & new EE routers have advertised a separate SSID completely separate to your own local WiFi.  The idea is that if you allow this on your router, then you can use the service on other people's routers.  Those who don't opt out get access to millions of hotspots across the UK.  If you do choose to opt out, you still have access to your own WiFi using the WiFi SSID and password - you shouldn't be using the BT/EE Wifi app for your home access anyhow!

I only learn by making mistakes and owning up to them - boy do I learn a lot!
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 16

Go to solution

The public service BT WiFi as provided by hotspots including BT home hubs is being rebranded as EE WiFi.

I have no idea why you keep mentioning phone service and comparing it with your direct broadband service.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 16

Go to solution
Thank you for a helpful reply.
I am using the home access method the BT instructions told me to use. My concern is that i may lose it for something I don't need that looks to me as if it will cost me more (but my original question - what advantages for same or less cost - remains).
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 16

Go to solution

It doesn't cost you anything, it is part of the contract and allows you to connect to public hotspots when out and about.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 16

Go to solution
Partly I am mentioning it because no-one I have asked on official support sites has made that simple distinction (if it is correct, as I now assume). Partly because it appears to me - though it may be an amazing coincidence - that I can't get access to my phone service on the occasions when EE wifi takes over from BT wifi.
0 Ratings