cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

4K mini TV box

Hi all 

I see on a well known auction site a large number of 4K mini boxes for sale. Seeing as BT/EE technically only lend the box these days would one work if I was to buy one? I bought an on 2200 box years ago and it works fine but wondered if the newer boxes were locked down more 

Thanks in advance 

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: 4K mini TV box

Without a multiroom subscription you are only allowed one "main" box. So it would probably work but you would have to switch boxes each time you fired up the other one.

Message 3 of 9

Thanks @rbz5416 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

The EE TV Box Mini does not have an aerial input and therefore requires an internet connection via Wi-Fi or Ethernet connection to watch Freeview content. The EE TV Box Mini is also a non-recordable device.

Message 5 of 9

The TV Box Mini also requires an active EE TV subscription to even watch Freeview channels. Without it, you just get a few apps - you'd be better buying a Fire Stick.
Message 6 of 9

Thanks all for your input 

I’m looking to replace an old 2200 that has seen better days so I have a subscription and an Ethernet connection so I think I’ll be okay 

fingers crossed

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

@TheRealBudski 

Yes, but without a multiroom subscription, will the box even get the IP channels, Freeview, Now, etc., unless you switch it to  being your main box while using it? A step that will disable the Pro box from recording, or even displaying, the IP channels and any existing recordings from them, as long as the Box Mini is set to be the main box?

—————————————————————————————————————
*** Longtime YouView box owner, BT Broadband customer, finally an EE TV subscriber, but with a few issues still to be ironed out ***
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

From personal experience, the recordings will still succeed but you'll need to switch the active subscription back at the point you want to watch them. So the only restriction is that you'll not be able to use more than one box at the same time.
Message 9 of 9

@DarrenDev 

Thanks for the correction - I’ve been given to understand in the past that switching away from the active subscription would make such recordings fail; but not so, or not so any more, at least,

So are you saying that a Pro box not currently on the active subscription can record an IP channel, and yet not display it?

And would I be right in assuming that it can only record programmes where the recording schedule was set while the Pro box was on the active subscription?

As Mark Twain was supposed to have said, tain’t the things you don’t know that catch you out, it’s the things you do know, that ain’t so 😛

—————————————————————————————————————
*** Longtime YouView box owner, BT Broadband customer, finally an EE TV subscriber, but with a few issues still to be ironed out ***
0 Ratings