cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 16

Ads on EETV

Reading This on Ofcom site 

Some advertising supported content producers have expressed doubts about multicast as, for them, being able to deliver personalised advertising is a key part of the business model. New innovations mean emerging multicast technologies could support personalisation through techniques like Dynamic Ad Insertion (DAI), in which the main stream is encapsulated in multicast but there is the potential to ‘stitch in' ad content locally. Ads are delivered in parallel with main content (lower bitrate as slower delivery) and in advance of the ad break; and are then played out from local storage during break. Since the ads are pre-loaded, they are always high quality. BT TV already pre-loads ads in a similar way.

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16

Re: Ads on EETV

Why do you think ITV were so keen to ensure you can't skip the ads in IP mode?
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 16

I assume if you sign up for ITV and pay for it you can fast forward ads?

When setting up EETV you are asked to sign into ITV, I always thought it odd because no other channel or service does at this stage.

It wasnt until I recorded an FA Cup game because I was out and wanted to watch it later did I realize why, I think there were nearly 8 ad breaks before the game actually started, was so painful to get through all that.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BT900 | Nokia ONT | Ubiquity ER-X | EETV Box Pro (IP Mode) | Unifi CK2 | 6x Unifi U6+ | 2x Unifi SAK Ultra
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 16

The subscription service only removes ads from the app - it doesn't change any behaviour for the channels or recordings.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 16

No way! Thats mental.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BT900 | Nokia ONT | Ubiquity ER-X | EETV Box Pro (IP Mode) | Unifi CK2 | 6x Unifi U6+ | 2x Unifi SAK Ultra
Message 6 of 16

The amount of time effort  and focus that YouView and its partners appears on ad placement ,and targeting  over the years of EE TV / BT TV evolution is considerable and those diversions have undoubtably impacted upon delivery and quality of core broadcasting  and usability functions which viewers really desire.

Message 7 of 16

@zulu17 100%

————————————————————-
BT Smart Hub 2 | Halo 3+ | Digital Voice | Sky Q | Apple TV 4K | LG OLED
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 16

At least YouView didn’t spend time on tracking your children from room to room via multiple YouView boxes, a decidedly creepy suggestion Richard Halton once floated.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 16

Well @Midnight_Voice   this article

https://uk.pcmag.com/youview/92994/youview-ceo-richard-halton-on-how-the-cloud-and-alexa-will-change...

did imply that YouView did spend time on tracking people  movement via multiple boxes.

Nothing wrong with Youview coming up with ideas and possible uses. Really up to the controlling partners and clients to direct them to focus on the required products and services.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 16

@zulu17 

Thanks for finding that; I might have met with some scepticism otherwise. It was all a bit Jurassic Park, wasn’t it? ‘You were so preoccupied with whether or not you could do it, you never stopped to think if you should do it”.

But so much front and centre in that article never came to be. When did Alexa get quietly dropped? I know I always said I’d start being interested when Alexa could turn on a YouView box, and that simply never happened. And where did Power Over Ethernet go? The designated strand in our HDMI cables is now supporting eARC 😛

The T1000’s gone, retail YouView is gone, the YouView Community is gone….

’Two vast and trunkless legs of stone’…..

0 Ratings