cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

BBC iPlayer App and UHD content

HI,

I havent used the iplayer app on my BT box for a while, I'm sure it used to allow me to see the applicable programmes in UHD.

I logged in today, and none of the shows that I know are UHD have the UHD label on them.   Has the behaviour of the app changed?

cheers

mike

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: BBC iPlayer App and UHD content

Just checked plenty of UHD content on my BT TV Box Pro IPlayer.

Check Settings within IPlayer ..  and within IPlayer Beta  there should be a Play UHD test loop.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

I just googled and found this thread.  I noticed that women in the wall is in uhd on TV app and not on bt box. Which I thought was weird. Wimbledon was probably last uhd content I watched on iPlayer.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Just checked again  @Steve9110  , All 5 episodes of The Woman in the Wall are UHD on BBC IPlayer on my BT TV Box Pro.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Thanks all....my box is the UHD box from about three years ago, and I don't have the UHD label on any iPlayer content  (or the UHD test loop in beta).   

Not sure why this has changed, but then I don't use the box that often.

cheers

mike

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

@mikef 

Is your box - the DTR-T4000 I assume - set to a UHD resolution, 50Hz 8 bit or 10 bit? Given the patchy way this box upscales, I ran it for a long time at 1080p and let the TV do the upscaling, and only went to UHD when the BBC started doing actual UHD content.

But I’ve just played some of Woman in the Wall, and it comes up and says UHD on the thumbnail, and plays as UHD.

However, if I drop the resolution to 1080p, without exiting the iPlayer, the thumbnail, and the info when you pause it, still say UHD. But then if I exit and restart the iPlayer with the box resolution at 1080p, the programme comes up without the UHD label. And does not get the label back if I put the box resolution back to UHD, unless, again, if I exit and restart the iPlayer.

So it looks as if the iPlayer only sniffs the resolution of the YouView box on initial entry, something to bear in mind if experimenting with this.

Going to His Dark Materials, a programme I am familiar with, I can see the difference between the 1080p presentation and the more finely-detailed UHD presentation, so even though my LG GX TV doesn’t tell me the resolution from the YouView box like it does when I watch HDM from iPlayer directly on the TV, where it displays HDR HLG, I can see that the UHD YouView box, set to a UHD resolution before starting the BBC iPlayer, genuinely is showing UHD from a UHD programme on the iPlayer.

—————————————————————————————————————
*** Longtime YouView box owner, BT Broadband customer, finally an EE TV subscriber ***
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Hi, thanks, yes my box is set to 50hz 8bit resolution. Dark Materials was the last thing I watched in UHD on it 😀

maybe I’ll try turning it off and on again!

cheers

mike

0 Ratings