cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

BT Box extremely slow in booting up since change to EE

Sine the change to EE TV my box has gone extremely slow. Previously when I switched on TV and then the BT box it was pretty much instantaneous, now it takes about 8 mins. First you get a random programme and when you press any buttons, such as HOME nothoing happens, so then switch off and on again gfrom remote and then get first a blank screen, then after about 3 mins the EE TV logo, then back to blank, then another 4 mins and the YOUVIEW logo, then 1 mins later all comes up with the Home Screen. This happens every time, so you need to start the process of switching on the TV 15 mins before you want it. This is only since the EE change and I've checked software and all says it's up to date. Has anyone e else had trghhis situation (we installed BT in December 2022 so all pretty new

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: BT Box extremely slow in booting up since change to EE

@artsfella 

I’m guessing this is a Pro Box but could you confirm?

I suspect the hard drive might be failing either way, but a full reset (keep recordings) is a good first step to see if it can be improved.

BT will make you do it anyway.

————————————————————-
BT Smart Hub 2 | Halo 3+ | Digital Voice | EE TV Pro | Sky Q | Apple TV 4K | LG OLED
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 11

Hi @steriohaven, I think it is BT Pro box, it's an oval one and the settings suggest its built by Sagem. We've only had it for 18 months so it would be surprising if it's failing, only use it to watch rather than any recordings. I don't really fancy having to reload all my sign ins for Netflix, Channel 4 etc, presume I will have to with a reset? Thanks for your help

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 11

Yes, you'll have to log in to some apps after a reset, although most apps use QR codes to sign in now so the credentials will hopefully be stored on your phone already.
It's your only option though I'm afraid - unless you want to live with the box in this state. You need to at least try it before a replacement box would be sent (which would also require you to sign into apps again).
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 11

@artsfella 

Another reason for slow loading is that the settings in Settings/Power & Standby have got messed up, but this sounds worse than that, so I concur with @stereohaven .

A Reset (Keep Recordings) shouldn’t affect your app logins though; but the Factory Reset which will be your only option if that doesn’t work well might,

Worth checking these settings after any sort of Reset, though, make sure they are what you intend,

—————————————————————————————————————
*** Longtime YouView box owner, BT Broadband customer, finally an EE TV subscriber ***
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 11

The factory reset will force a selection for power and standby anyway - it's part of the setup process.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 11

Thanks @DarrenDev; being in the happy position of never having to do a Factory Reset over four YouView boxes and 12 years, I didn’t know that.

I think I’ve dodged a bullet there 😛

*** Longtime YouView box owner, BT Broadband customer, finally an EE TV subscriber ***
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 11

I’ve just been sent this EE TV box to replace my broken BT TV box and it takes about 8 minutes to get it to start. This is not progress. Why?  

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 11

This box is 1 WEEK OLD. It’s absolutely rubbish.
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 11

@nancywilson 

Settings/Power & Standby/Standby Mode, is it Energy Saver? If so, change it to SMART.

Having said which, even Energy Saver is only supposed to take two minutes, and eight minutes sounds like it isn’t registering being set up at all.

Is it asking you lots and lots of questions every time, or just going away for what seems like forever, with the ping-pong balls circulating?

But if SMART doesn’t put it right, then you should get BT to replace it for you; mine is set to SMART and comes on in seconds

0 Ratings