cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 41 of 107

Re: BT Pro Box surround sound (weighed off)

@DarrenDev 

I’m using it to mean ‘I understand’. My wife, when I asked her, knew it as that as well.

But you are absolutely right about Google, which only gives synonyms for jail terms or other punishments.

The Canadian Navy has it as I have it:-

https://readyayeready.com/jackspeak/termview.php?id=2029

But I’m not Canadian. I wonder where on earth we got this meaning from? It’s not local dialect or anything, as we are from different parts of the UK.  I’m putting this one to Susie Dent on Countdown 😛

Anyway, ‘understand’.

*** Longtime YouView box owner, BT Broadband customer, but never a BT TV subscriber ***
0 Ratings
Message 42 of 107

Re: BT Pro Box surround sound

@DarrenDev 

You also asked ‘For your 3rd use case, what do you mean by "says it's in 5.1"? The box wouldn't know if the programme claims to be multi-channel but only has audio in the FL an FR.’

Here,I’m was referring to what @SoupDragon57 said above about ITV claiming it was in 5.1 when actually it was only in 2.0. Quoting:-

I'm looking at this now. My AV Receiver can show both the input and output audio. I can still see the same issue on ITV2/3/4, all showing as 5.1 where they are definitely 2.0. ITV only use 2.0 audio.

Does that mean that the ITV signal comes over as FL and FR only, because the Pro box believes the 5.1 claim, and renders the signal accordingly?

In which case, anyone using ITV as a test case for the Stereo/Surround fix on the Pro box would incorrectly deduce that the bug wasn’t fixed, when in fact the problem is the format ITV is claiming.

I will try harder to be less impenetrable in future, honest 😛

*** Longtime YouView box owner, BT Broadband customer, but never a BT TV subscriber ***
0 Ratings
Message 43 of 107

@Midnight_Voice It means my AV Receiver thinks that ITV2/3/4 Is sending a 5.1 signal. My assumption here is that it is not correctly interpreting the metadata for the audio. We know ITV only have 2.0 output, so it could just be napping the 2.0 signal to front left and right, with the centre, surrounds and sub woofer being empty channels.

But the point is that the BT Pro box should be outputting a 2.0 audio (with correct metadata), so that my AV Receiver can handle it appropriately.

0 Ratings
Message 44 of 107

@SoupDragon57 

Assuming that you have a TV aerial, what does your receiver make of the signals from these channels viewed directly on the TV itself, rather than via the YouView box?

0 Ratings
Message 45 of 107

@Midnight_Voice Is not a direct comparison as I have the box running in internet mode. On Freeview (via the TV tuner), ITV2/3/4 are in SD and standard PCM audio. However, the HD channels are in Dolby Digital. ITV1 is always 2.0. BBC1/2/3/4, Ch4/5 are somewhat dynamic and the output depends on the programme being shown, ie some are in 5.1, others are in 2.0.

I think somehow, the box is not correctly handling the Dolby Digital metadata (or the internet version is not correctly praying the right metadata.

0 Ratings
Message 46 of 107

@SoupDragon57 

Thanks. I think the conclusion I was nudging towards is borne out by that; Freeview on the TV is fine, your amp is fine, but the Pro box, certainly in IP mode, is not fine.

I did say above I was going to play with my DTR-T4000; and the conclusion I came to was that playing 5.1 and 2.0 through my soundbar was giving some very odd results , and that either 2.0, allowed to play through the rear speakers by having Surround Sound On, was far too loud in them, or 5.1 was so quiet it was inaudible. So I turned Surround Sound to Off (the setting is a bit misnamed, On means ‘give me surround sound even when there isn’t any really and Off means give me surround when it’s real, but otherwise don’t fake it), set the rears back in balance with the front speakers, and now 2.0 doesn’t use the rears, but 5.1 uses them most effectively.

With this setup, the T4000 seems to get everything right, including, as you say, switching between 2.0 and 5.1 according to the signal being sent. Except that 2.0 is actually coming out of the soundbar as 2.1, as it still uses the sub, though I think this is just done on a frequency split, and it isn’t 3.1, as the centre seems to drop right out as an actual speaker, though sounds are still centred when L and R have equal volume. You have to put your ear up close, though, to hear that the centre speaker isn’t contributing to that.

Message 47 of 107

@DarrenDev  Is there any update on when this might get fixed?

0 Ratings
Message 48 of 107

@DarrenDev  Is there any update on this issue?

0 Ratings
Message 49 of 107

Has anything major every been ixed in the Box Pro?

It seems it took forever to be released due to issues - it was released with issues - and years on the issues are still being regularly reported.

@SoupDragon57wrote:

@DarrenDev  Is there any update on when this might get fixed?

---------------------------------------------------------------
Fibre 2 Unlimited using EE Smart Hub 2 with EE TV Box Pro (UHD/HDR) in IP mode.
0 Ratings
Message 50 of 107

The issue has been marked as fixed and delivered, for all the scenarios that could be reproduced.
I'll ask someone to look at this thread again - it would be great if specific scenarios could be provided again, giving details of hardware, how it's wired, and channels/programmes.
0 Ratings