cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 111 of 124

Re: BT Pro Box surround sound

Checked both my ITV1HD channels and both are correctly reporting 2.0.

@AlyCathwrote:

Hello All,

Theres been a few updates to the EETV box and looks like we back to the same issue.

Example: BBC1 is two channel

looks like the tagging is showing as 5.1

BBC2 looks to be correct but ITV1 is two channel but coming through as 5.1.

Havent changed anything on my Receiver since this issue was fixed.

Anyone else having this issue again?

---------------------------------------------------------------
Fibre 2 Unlimited using EE Smart Hub 2 with EE TV Box Pro (UHD/HDR) in IP mode.
Message 112 of 124

@ozsat 

Just checked ITV1 HD, 15:40, Lingo, on both my TV and my DTR-T4000, and both are reporting Dolby Audio.

Could this be an IP versus broadcast difference on the Pro box?

—————————————————————————————————————
*** Longtime YouView box owner, BT Broadband customer, but not quite yet an EE TV subscriber ***
0 Ratings
Message 113 of 124

@ozsat Wimbledon is indeed 5.1. Freeview and EE TV both showing this (although DD on Freeview and DD+ on EE, But that's just a choice by EE and doesn't make any real difference here).
All looks good.
Agree on the iPlayer/Doctor Who choice. 4k HDR for me and use of Dolby Surround on the AVR, but still feels mean of the BBC to skimp on this.

0 Ratings
Message 114 of 124

@Midnight_Voice In IP mode, DD+ is always used. I suspect it provides efficiency and consistency...

0 Ratings
Message 115 of 124

@SoupDragon57 

Not that I’ve got a Pro box, but are you saying it would report DD+, but 2.0?

My soundbar doesn’t report how many channels are present, though I can put it in a ‘purist’ mode where what comes out of which speakers tells me exactly what it thinks is being sent.

Any mileage in me trying that with broadcast ITV HD?

*** Longtime YouView box owner, BT Broadband customer, but not quite yet an EE TV subscriber ***
0 Ratings
Message 116 of 124

@Midnight_Voice In short, yes, it is 2.0 for ITV HD. You could consider DD/DD+ as the means of carriage for the audio. They can carry 5.1 or 2.0 (and many others in theory, but rarely used anywhere). 
I can only tell as I'm using an AV Receiver which can provide all of the audio detail.
I'm not sure I'd opt for a purist mode. Using Dolby Surround as an option, it will help better separate the audio (especially if your setup has a centre channel). On some DD 2.0, it will contain information to help map out to centre and surround channels, e.g the DD 2.0 audio on iPlayer for Doctor Who.

0 Ratings
Message 117 of 124

@SoupDragon57 

Ah, I didn’t mean I’d stay in purist mode; just be in there long enough to test it, and then put it back in my normal surround mode.

As you suggest, surround mode is usually much more satisfactory; but my LG GX soundbar manual devotes several pages to the various combinations; put Surround Mode on, and it will give you real 5.1 if you feed it 5.1, or synthesised 5.1 if you give it 2.0

But turn Surround Mode off, and what you get depends both on the Audio Mode you choose, and if you are feeding it 5.1 or 2.0.

5.1 still always gives genuine surround; but 2.0 gives synthesised 5.1 on several of the Audio Modes, and only a couple of them avoid this, and play 2,0 in 2.0

So I have to sit there with the manual open and pick my way through if I want a ‘purist mode’ in which 2.0 stays 2.0 😛

0 Ratings
Message 118 of 124

@Midnight_Voice Completely with you. That's definitely a way to test off you can't get the info from the soundbar directly.
@DarrenDev - I see the Discovery channels (Quest, Eurosport etc) are still incorrectly outputting 5.1 instead on the correct 2.0 audio

BTW, Does anyone know what package includes Discovery itself? Seems to be the only entertainment channel I don't have (although I know it's available in the Discovery+ app)

0 Ratings
Message 119 of 124

I think Eurosports may be a source issue as they used to be flagged as 5.1 on all platforms. VirginMedia still get a feed flagged 5.1.

@SoupDragon57wrote:

@Midnight_Voice Completely with you. That's definitely a way to test off you can't get the info from the soundbar directly.
@DarrenDev - I see the Discovery channels (Quest, Eurosport etc) are still incorrectly outputting 5.1 instead on the correct 2.0 audio

BTW, Does anyone know what package includes Discovery itself? Seems to be the only entertainment channel I don't have (although I know it's available in the Discovery+ app)

---------------------------------------------------------------
Fibre 2 Unlimited using EE Smart Hub 2 with EE TV Box Pro (UHD/HDR) in IP mode.
Message 120 of 124

@ozsat Week, that'd be consistent, at least. Applies to the entire Discovery portfolio. DarrenDev said they might have to force it at the EE end to 2.0. Ironically, the app on Apple TV will correctly output as PCM 2.0 and in pretty sure the EE TV app is DD+2.0. Just the broadcast channels that have been set incorrectly.

0 Ratings