cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 121 of 124

Re: BT Pro Box surround sound

I've to checked and Eurosport 1 and 2 HD are both 5.1 on Sky.

With the issue with forcing it  -  what happens is something then is true 5.1  ??

@SoupDragon57wrote:

@ozsat Week, that'd be consistent, at least. Applies to the entire Discovery portfolio. DarrenDev said they might have to force it at the EE end to 2.0. Ironically, the app on Apple TV will correctly output as PCM 2.0 and in pretty sure the EE TV app is DD+2.0. Just the broadcast channels that have been set incorrectly.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Fibre 2 Unlimited using EE Smart Hub 2 with EE TV Box Pro (UHD/HDR) in IP mode.
Message 122 of 124

@ozsat Agree. Discovery ought to provide the correct DD metadata.

0 Ratings
Message 123 of 124

@SoupDragon57 

I tried ‘purist mode) on tonight’s footy on ITV HD over my aerial, and it was indeed just two channels in a Dolby Digital wrapper, on both my LG GX TV and my DTR-T4000 YouView box. Which agreed with the S in the programme information, assuming that’s S for Stereo.

*** Longtime YouView box owner, BT Broadband customer, but never a BT TV subscriber ***
Message 124 of 124

•  

Having done some research on the topic, Freeview uses HE-AAC for audio, which most TVs and set top boxes cover to Dolby Digital, although some newer kit (including my new TV) convert to Dolby Digital Plus. HE-AAC is apparently used because it can carry audio description information. No AV kit can natively process HE-AAC,  hence the coversion prices taking place. Freesat, EE TV and other providers all use Dolby Digital or Dolby Digital Plus.

Doesn't alter the debate around the correct Dolby Digital metadata, but I thought it might be interesting.

0 Ratings