cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 36

BT TV Box Pro turning on randomly

My TV Box has started turning on randomly, which then turns on my TV, which started over a week ago. Then last night it restarted it's self twice while watching TV. Is this a software bug (feels like it started happening after the interface was updated slightly) or is the box defunked?

0 Ratings
35 REPLIES 35
Message 2 of 36

Re: BT TV Box Pro turning on randomly

Hi @craig255, sorry that this has started to happen.
Have you tried a soft reset of the box (Keeping recordings) How do I reset my BT TV box? | BT Help

Also check that the software and apps are up to date How do I manually update software on BT TV boxes? | BT Help

And see if the problem occurs again.

Cheers

John

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 36

Thanks John, The software is up to date, I’ll try a soft reset and see if it helps 

thanks

craig

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 36

hi @craig255 thanks for reporting this and the restart odd behaviour. I'll take a look and see what's happening. 

If the box is waking the TV up, then the HDMI cable is sending a CEC command that the TV receives as a message to start showing the picture, that shouldn't happen when the box is waking from standby to run overnight software checks.

Can you confirm  what make/model of TV and if you have a soundbar or other device on any other HDMI port?

If anyone else is experiencing a similar issue on wake up or restart while watching, please post back here so we can add you to our investigation. 

thanks

David

Message 5 of 36

Hi @David_H the TV is Panasonic TX-L42E6B
There is no soundbar connected.
There is Playstation (powered off) and Fire TV Cube connected to the other HDMI ports.
It seems to happen mostly in the afternoon and after 4pm, it happened again this afternoon, although it did come on this morning sometime before 8:30am.
I have Deep Sleep configured between 12AM - 4PM and wondered if that was waking up and turning on the TV. it wouldn't explain why it was on this morning though.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 36

Hi @craig255 thanks for the additional info, that helps narrow things down. We're investigating on some test boxes and I'll update tomorrow, please let me know if you see further examples, and also if possible if you see the issue any event like a channel change or other activity?

regards

David

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 36

@David_H @craig255 

Some (all?) Panasonic TVs have a feature whereby they wake up if they get a signal on the line, even with CEC disabled.

So if the box wakes up when it shouldn't, it could be  waking up the TV even without CEC being involved.

I believe this only operates on HDMI 1, so moving the YouView box to a different HDMI port may stop it waking up the TV.

Might at least afford you some quiet nights until the root cause on the YouView box is fixed…

*** Longtime YouView box owner, BT Broadband customer, but never a BT TV subscriber ***
Message 8 of 36

I find my tv  turns on randomly often around the time I set for my tv mini to go into or out of deep sleep.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 36

Hi

My BT Mini Box has started turning itself on in the middle of the night and it turns my TV on. 

My TV is a Samsung TV.

Many thanks

Bradt

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 36

Hi,

Our TV Box Mini is doing the same. It’s connected to a Samsung Frame tv and the tv turns on when the box’s deep sleep time ends. It only started to do this a couple of days ago and had been running without an issue for the prior 3 months. There have been no changes to anything else connected to the tv/box during this time.

Cheers,

Steve

0 Ratings