cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

BT TV permanently turn off parental control request every time I want to view a recording

No matter what recording I want to watch (news, weather, entertainment stuff etc)  on my newly installed BT TV Pro box I get a request to enter a parental control pin.  All the help pages I look at seem to refer to broadband parental controls which is definitely not activated on my BT account.

Please can someone tell me how to permanently delete the parental control request on the BT TV box which frankly is really getting on my nerves and is completely unacceptable?  Please help -thanks

Graham
0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: BT TV permanently turn off parental control request every time I want to view a recording

The parental controls are managed via the box so as unacceptable as it is it's probably something you've set yourself.

If on the box you go into the settings the parental controls you can manage them from there though

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Re: BT TV permanently turn off parental control request every time I want to view a recording

No you can’t. It is getting on my nerves too. No children in my home = no need for this.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

@JohnJ71 @grajay @garybs29 

Right next to Change Parental Control PIN in Settings is Restrict Rated Programmes.

Go into this, and if Restrict Rated Programmes there is set On, set it to Off.

Notwithstanding the above, channels that don’t respect the watershed will always require the Parental PIN before this time; that’s a requirement from OFCOM that the broadcasters can’t ignore.

—————————————————————————————————————
*** Longtime YouView box owner, BT Broadband customer, finally an EE TV subscriber ***
Message 5 of 8

Thank you for your reply, I appreciate you taking the time to do so. I mainly watch Sky History channel and it is nearly always asking for me to enter my pin, sometimes before the program I am watching has finished. I find it unacceptable that some channels will not respect my wish to have this disabled, I never had this problem with Sky. Believe it or not, this is enough to make me switch back to Sky.

thanks again.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

The Sky/Now channels have a separate pin requirement to that of the box. This is because many of their programs, particularly movies, are of a nature only suitable for ‘after the watershed’, but are shown through the day, ie pre watershed. If watching in the day you are required to enter the pin you will have set up with them. If you are recording the program you have to enter the pin before playback. This is a requirement placed on them by Ofcom. I’ve never had Sky, so don’t know how this applied on there, maybe someone else can answer that one

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

@GarethPrice @JohnJ71 

Sky are bound by OFCOM, same as all other broadcasters, and Now reflects this.

But Now does have its own PIN requirements, separate from YouView. I don’t know if these govern the Now channels in the Pro Box EPG, but they certainly govern what the Now app does, on other devices at least.

However, while the PIN controls access, it doesn’t say anything about age ratings, which, as on YouView, are set separately from the PIN itself.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/what-is-a-viewing-pin

Make sure then, at least, that you don’t have any age restrictions set in your Now account. I don’t know if Now default this to the lowest age rating for streaming, but I do know that they do this for their broadband, from the many howls of anguish we used to get about this in the Now Community.

—————————————————————————————————————
*** Longtime YouView box owner, BT Broadband customer, finally an EE TV subscriber ***
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

@Midnight_Voice  said “But Now does have its own PIN requirements, separate from YouView. I don’t know if these govern the Now channels in the Pro Box EPG………”

Yes, they do MV, Pro box and the mini boxes