cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

BT Youview Box - New But Slow

Hi All,

We received a replacement TV box yesterday as our old one was very slow and half of the apps keep crashing mid-way through programmes, we tried soft reset's, factory resets but nothing worked so BT agreed to send a new box.

However, its no better. When opening the main menu (pressing the home button) it takes almost 10 seconds to open and then a further few seconds to load all the content on that screen, its similarly slow scrolling through the tv guide as well. Pressing anything on the remote always has a delay.

Broadband is all fine and is a solid 70mbps and is connected via ethernet, are these just really poor boxes or am I expecting too much!

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: BT Youview Box - New But Slow

What "TV box"?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

Youview Recordable TV box
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

T2100, T4000 or BT TV Box Pro? (see BT TV boxes | Compare the different boxes we offer | BT Help)

In the unlikely event that it is a T2100 then yes, they are slow these days and there's little you can do about it except  upgrade or better still use a Roku Streaming Stick, Amazon Firestick or a smart TV

Message 5 of 10

the only issue you will face with using another means tested device like firestick is you loose the recording part of the box. i have the T2100 but this version has to be the worst ive had in tv boxes, the bootup time varies from 3mins all the way to 8mins just to bootup and i have the settings set to quick boot but i still get the slow loading message, and like stated the lag when scrolling through pages is so bad it feels like you have to wait for the box to catch up and if you continue to press any buttons before the lagging catches up you send the box into a big siezure.

Message 6 of 10

We are having the exact same problem. Has there been a solution to this?

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

sorry for late reply i just got out of hospital,

as far as im able to tell the options are.

1, change box for a streaming device like firestick or android box and so on.

doing that you will loose the ability to record your tv most of all you wont get all the channels that come through the aerial which is almost everything. so to keep all them channels with recording function you may want to buy your box from bt/ee or elsewhere like amazon, so option 2 is upgrade your tv box to a more up-to-date version.

as these arnt damaged boxes bt wont send you a better version for free.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

@crawlers1977 

2. Find another HDMI port and add a streaming device like Firestick or Roku (Roku is my preference though the Firestick has more in common with the unnecessarily cluttered YouView interface) alongside the existing YouView box.

Watch catchup and streaming on the new device. Use the YouView box to record and play things, for live when you want to pause it (if your stick can’t do that), maybe for when the backward EPG is useful.

It doesn’t have to be an OR, stick or box. It can be an AND,

—————————————————————————————————————
*** Longtime YouView box owner, BT Broadband customer, finally an EE TV subscriber ***
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

you sure can use a streaming device i do for certain apps like discovery plus but as for the epg it only shows channels run through primes choice of apps, but lets not forget the 100ish channels through the aerial which Roku or firestick dont do. so if you want to look and choose a channel to watch from an epg with all your channels in 1 place running a normal lag free time in this case it is an updated version box.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

@crawlers1977 

A dream we had before YouView imploded as a user platform was ‘One box to rule them all’.

This did not happen 😢

—————————————————————————————————————
*** Longtime YouView box owner, BT Broadband customer, finally an EE TV subscriber ***
0 Ratings