cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 14

Best way to Connect BT TV Pro box - Sound bar & TV

Go to solution

I am soon to be getting a BT TV pro box, I am looking for the best way to connect to my TV and Sound Bar, and ideally control everything from the BT remote. I am wondering if that is possible, or whether I will still need to juggle several remote controls?

Sound bar and TV are HDMI ARC enabled.

Many Thanks

Pete.

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14

Re: Best way to Connect BT TV Pro box - Sound bar & TV

Go to solution

@Pete_Carr I have a hdmi cable from my BT TV pro box to my soundbar hdmi port then another hdmi cable from a different port on the soundbar to the HDMI ARC port on my TV. Can control my soundbar volume, TV and BT Box using the BT remote. Make sure you turn on Surround in the sound settings on your BT TV Pro box for your soundbar to work properly. Hope this helps.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 14

Go to solution
Many Thanks @Steven3 fingers crossed that all works for me too?
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 14

Go to solution

@Pete_CarrIt should work fine for you too hopefully

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 14

Go to solution

Hi @Pete_Carr and thanks for posting.

I'd be interested to know if @Steven3 advice works for you (no reason it shouldn't) as I have a similar set up.

Cheers

David

Message 6 of 14

Go to solution
@Steven3
My concern after reading the user guide, was where it says
"The remote control will automatically pair with the TV Box and programme itself to control your TV as well."
I am assuming yours sorted everything out itself?
Do you need to press different source buttons to control individual devices,? I am really not sure how all this HDMI ARC wizardry all works?
Many thanks again for your comment?

Pete
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 14

Go to solution
Just spoke to Richer Sounds where the TV and Sound Bar are from, they suggest, plugging the BT box directly into the TV and just using the HDMI ARC for the Sound Bar.
Anyone have any thoughts on whether that would be a better or worse solution?

Pete
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 14

Go to solution

@Pete_Carr Yes my remote sorted itself out I have everything linked together when I turn off the box, the tv and the soundbar turn off too. The remote only controls the basics volume up/down, change channel etc if you want to change settings etc you would probably need to use the individual remotes. I would try connecting it up and see what you prefer you can always plug the cables in differently if you don't like it

Message 9 of 14

Go to solution

@Pete_Carr  

Are you using the TV and soundbar now? Do you need, or use, the soundbar remote very much, if at all?

My soundbar switches on and off with the TV, goes to the ARC input automatically*, and the TV volume control controls the volume on the soundbar, so I rarely need the soundbar remote.

Is the ARC between your TV and soundbar just plain ARC, or is it actually eARC, (which it will be only if both devices support eARC)? If it’s plain ARC, then it can’t pass rich audio formats like true Dolby Atmos, so anyone with a BluRay player, say, would have to connect up in @Steven3 mode to get uncompromised audio.

Can the Pro box put out true Dolby Atmos or DTS:X? If it can, and you aren’t running eARC, then it’s better plugged into the soundbar. But with eARC, the sound is just as good with it plugged into either TV or soundbar**.

@Steven3, do you have to switch anything when going from the input with the Pro box on, to ARC from the TV? If so, this would be a consideration when connecting like this in an eARC setup.

And just to prove that nothing is ever simple, and there are all sorts of exceptions to these general rules:-

* If I turn my YouView DTR-T4000 box on when the TV is in standby, it turns the TV on just fine, but the soundbar, which also turns on at the same time, goes to its HDMI input, not to eARC. So I get no audio, until I reach for the soundbar remote and switch to eARC again. I have no idea why the switch to HDMI occurs, but I blame the TV, though perhaps I should blame the YouView box.

The workaround is always to turn the TV on first, which turns the soundbar on in eARC mode, and only then turn on the YouView box.

** My TV doesn’t do DTS in any flavour, though the soundbar does. So the BluRay player has to connected directly to the soundbar. Ho hum….

*** Longtime YouView box owner, BT Broadband customer, but never a BT TV subscriber ***
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 14

Go to solution

@Midnight_Voice  My tv and soundbar both support EARC so I don't have to change anything I get Dolby Atmos through the BT TV Pro Box and the Soundbar 

0 Ratings