cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 23

Changes to BBC Recordings

I received an email from EE today with the following info:

As you're watching EE TV in Internet Mode (without an aerial), the way you watch your BBC recordings will change.

From 21st August, your BBC recordings will launch through the BBC iPlayer app. There's no change to how you'll record a programme, or where it will be stored.

A quick search on the forum threw up this post from last year, where it appears this feature was being tested in a trial group.

I have the same question as the author of that post - does this mean that my recordings will now expire when the show in question is removed from iPlayer?

22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23

Re: Changes to BBC Recordings

I'm guessing so no more keeping big events on your hard drive. It's going to get to the point where recording in IP mode will be pointless and it will be basically like Sky Glass/Stream's so called 'cloud recording'.

Off air recording is going to go the way of the dodo as first satellite then DTT transmission comes to an end and TV companies get ever greedier for all our data (and want to flog premium ad-free subscriptions).  I'll use my HD HomeRun for recordings whilst I can but this is a really anti-consumer move that you assume was instigated by the BBC.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 23

Yes, unfortunately - we know it's not going to be popular, but it's forced upon us.

It does now mean that if the programme isn't on iPlayer (either hasn't ever been added - as is the case with some regional programmes - or has expired) then it won't be watchable.

Edit: recordings that are already on your box will remain watchable - the new rules only kick in for recordings made from activation date onwards.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 23

Thanks for the clarity @DarrenDev.

The email states that "There's no change to ... where [the recording] will be stored" - so this means that the recording will take spoace on my TV Box hard disk, but I'll be limited to only watching it while it's available on iPlayer?  If that's right, it sounds like the worst of both worlds, unfortunately.

The TV providers do seem determined to use IP delivery as a mechanism to control viewers' options.

Message 5 of 23

You are correct @ptrduffy 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 23

so is there any point in setting a BBC recording in IP mode  where it seems to use storage space for IP delivered content that will not be used for replay ?

Would it not be simply more efficient on box storage to add the programme to the Watchlist to watch on IPlayer ?

Message 7 of 23

Yes, @zulu17 - that is the better option, and if you remember to do that, then you'll get the better experience. The record button is just there as a fallback option, for those who continue to use it.
Message 8 of 23

@DarrenDev 

Yet another nail in the coffin of IP Mode 😢

So glad our recordings of The Singing Detective, whether from IP or broadcast mode, won’t fade to grey in November when it leaves the BBC iPlayer, like any future IP Recordings are going to.

—————————————————————————————————————
*** Longtime YouView box owner, BT Broadband customer, but not quite yet an EE TV subscriber ***
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 23

@DarrenDev Just a quick question. Using Match of the Day as an example, can you watch the recording on the box if it's not available at the time on iplayer. (MOTD usually arrives on Monday if I recall correctly). Of course it's immaterial if you have the Apple TV box anyway.

Oooo! Just a thought. If BT goes down the Sky Stream route in the future and everything is on demand, or cloud recorded, just think..... no more missing the end of programmes. 😃

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 23

This bit in the email did make me laugh:

IMG_0562.jpeg
Does the iPlayer app on the Pro Box (or any device), support 5.1 surround as the BBC broadcast channels have available for many films, series and events?

Because if it is still churning out a max of 192kbps AAC 2.0, it is not the “best quality” then compared to the recording of a live broadcast.

————————————————————-
BT Smart Hub 2 | Halo 3+ | Digital Voice | EE TV Pro | Sky Q | Apple TV 4K | LG OLED
0 Ratings