cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 23

Re: Changes to BBC Recordings

@Hunter2660  The reply given in post 3 suggests that the answer is no from 21st August onwards. If I've understood the change correctly, from 21st August when pressing Record you're simply adding a 'marker' to notify iPlayer that you want to watch a particular programme. If they haven't added it to iPlayer or it's subsequently removed then you won't be able to watch it.

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 23

@Andy005 @Hunter2660 

Make that ‘pressing Record in IP Mode’.

You may wish to revert to Broadcast Mode, if you are in a position to, before that date.

—————————————————————————————————————
*** Longtime YouView box owner, BT Broadband customer, finally an EE TV subscriber, but with a few issues still to be ironed out ***
0 Ratings
Message 13 of 23

Does this mean that I may just as well buy a recording box, rather than have a subscription?

I currently do not buy extra channels.

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 23

@Lizzie the issue (if we can call it such) only applies if you choose to receive channels over IP, and you need a subscription to do so.

But, as I see it, the main advantages of BT/EE TV over competitors are IP delivery of programming and ability to record (and keep recordings as long as you like).  The erosion of recording functionality - first with ITV disallowing ad skipping, and now the BBC disallowing long-term keeping of recordings - to my mind erodes this competitive advantage.

I have a year still to run on my contract, so I think I will switch to aerial mode for the duration and then not renew (unless something significant changes in the next 12 months).

Although, as I type this, I'm starting to think that this change constitutes a significant reduction in functionality. I may decide to ask BT to let me cancel the remainder of my TV contract on the basis of this. Something to ponder over the weekend.

Message 15 of 23

@Andy005wrote:

@Hunter2660  The reply given in post 3 suggests that the answer is no from 21st August onwards. If I've understood the change correctly, from 21st August when pressing Record you're simply adding a 'marker' to notify iPlayer that you want to watch a particular programme. If they haven't added it to iPlayer or it's subsequently removed then you won't be able to watch it.

Ah yes, didn't read that properly. Not a problem for me as my pro box is packed ready to be sent back to BT. Just curious really. 

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 23

From what i have read in this thread it does seem that the BBC programme is still recorded  , so presumably using one of the two available simultaenous IP stream and writing to disc  but is not shown as a  (playable) recording on the box but rather the programme tile will default to playing in iplayer (if present) and presumable some Not Available message if not present in iplayer'

This change does seem a strange  and untidy implementation.

Message 17 of 23

@zulu17 Presumably if it is still recorded than it can only be for reasons of ease of implementation and cost.

I'm struggling to see where EETV (via IP) is going now. Ads can't be skipped on ITV, you can't record BBC and no channels have been added that I know of. I'm only a few months into my current contract but once it ends I'm likely to switch to a provider that offers a full and consistent service. Whilst we're probably heading for all streaming in the long term,  these changes make EETV look as if they have no say with broadcasters whatsoever, presumably due to low subscriber numbers.

Message 18 of 23

I don't understand why the recordings are still held on the box and consuming storage of they're not used? Can anyone clarify this please?

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 23

@jparnell82 

At a guess, because there are probably hundreds of places in the YouView code where assumptions about how the recording process operates are baked in, whereas it is relatively simple and clean to put something in the replay process that diverts the request into being one to play from the iPlayer instead of from the hard disc, at a single place in the code.

So trying to implement the marker idea, while cleaner than making a recording, would be very messy in terms of picking up all the places where assumptions about what the recording process were entailed, and modifying them. And they would likely miss a few.

—————————————————————————————————————
*** Longtime YouView box owner, BT Broadband customer, finally an EE TV subscriber, but with a few issues still to be ironed out ***
Message 20 of 23

@Midnight_Voice 

Good points. I think the term is 'technical debt'

0 Ratings