cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 20

DTR-T2110 EE Update

I have a youview recorder. Model DTR-T2110/500G/BT/HS
Over the weekend 15 Dec 2023 BT did an update to the recorder.
Now the menus are different and say it’s EE.
The update has stopped the recorder from recording any programs and the red button on the handset will not set anything to record.
The button is sending as the light flashes.
The apps do not work anymore and any recordings that were set. It now says it cannot record them
The only bit that seems to work, is to play the recordings that it has recorded
The recorder worked OK before this update.
I have down powered the unit and done a retune. But it has not cured the problem.
I phoned BT but was told that they did not want to help and knew nothing about this update.
I have emailed EE but they have not replied.
BT / EE have made the box useless and are guilty of creating more electrical waist.
Perhaps someone can come up with a solution. HELP.

0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20

Re: DTR-T2110 EE Update

Hi @rogerh73 

The updates that Youview/EE will have provided will not have any intention of restricting services on your box.

There is always a possibility of any update process causing issues.

If you need to reset your box  using the buttons on the box (keeping recordings) then follow the advice at

https://www.bt.com/help/tv/fix-a-problem/tv-boxes/how-do-i-reset-my-bt-tv-box-

Before attempting that can i ask are you able to watch live TV  and is the EPG (guide) on the box current ?

When you try the apps  what errors or experience do you get.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 20

Hi Zula17.

Thanks for the info. It has not solved the record problem but the Apps now seem to work.
I did all of the ones on the maintenance menu except to delete the hard disk.
This is the main problem. If I use the remote to go to guide, select something to record then press the Red button with R nothing happens. If I press the R button the set top box still nothing happens. If I go up to a sky channel and do the same it says I have to setup a sky account. So this proves that the Box does receive the R button command.
I have also done a retune without the aerial connect so as to clear all the stations. Then turned the box off for one minute before rebooting. Then checked that I do not have any stations before doing a retune. But this did not change the problem. Any further ideas. Regards Roger.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 20

I believe that that particular box is a retail box. Can you confirm whether or not you have a BT TV subscription? It sounds as though you must have BT broadband though. It does also sound as though a forced update to your box has effectively bricked it. I think that one of the BT TV experts would need to clarify the position here. I hope that something can be done to get your box working again or replaced.

Message 5 of 20

Hi.

You could be right. I purchased this box from John Lewis in November 2016. Yes I am a by customer. But I do not have BT TV Subscription. I did not ask for this update. It just happened without my permission. It’s almost like BT/EE wont to kill all these boxes by doing this update. Can you transfer what you have recorded to a USB pen drive? I do not know what to do now. Any thoughts. Roger

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 20

Thanks for confirming that it is indeed a retail box and that you are a BT broadband customer but do not have a BT TV subscription. As I said previously a BT/EE TV expert should be able to clarify what the position is regarding updates to that particular box, and hopefully provide a solution for you. Or perhaps one of the mods on here can pick it up and make sure that the appropriate person is aware of it.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 20

Recordings can't be transferred & even if they could. HD recordings are encrypted.

So given that the recordings are probably toast, you could try a Software Reset from the maintenance menu. If still no joy & you have an old 2.5" laptop drive kicking around, you could try replacing the HDD as per this guide. But given the low value of the box, probably not worth buying one.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 20

@rogerh73 I've got the DTR-T2110 and it's also the retail box. It's had the updates etc. and seems to be working as normal. I have BT broadband but no BTTV like yourself. It sounds like it's been an update glitch or a fault developed with the box. A factory reset is probably the way to go now then, although you will lose everything.

Message 9 of 20

We used to have one of these boxes too, but now have a Pro tv box with BT TV subscription. My recollection is that it is possible to do some kind of factory reset which didn’t delete recordings by using the buttons on the top of the box. It is rather fiddly though, but if you follow instructions in #2 above by @zulu17 .

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 20

If you are able to play your existing  recordings  and they are precious  to you then there is a dilemma  as if the maintenance  mode resets that keep recordings don't  cure the problem of being able to record new recordings the next step would be to do a full reset  on the box which  would wipe all the recordings. 

So there are probably  no perfect options available.  So perhaps  watch the important  recordings and then do the reset. 

0 Ratings