cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 13

Does the EE TV Box Pro use the internet to stream live channels?

Hello there!

I have recently ordered the Fibre67 broadband through EE. Along with it, I also got the EE TV Box Pro with a Big Sports package and an HD + 4K addon. I predominantly want to watch HD football on TV and use my broadband for everyday work.

My question is simple and possibly a bit stupid: Will my tv box use broadband internet to broadcast live channels or will it use aerial cable?

Basically, assuming if TNT Sports is on channel number 100 and there is live game ongoing, will the internet be activated when I flick my box to that channel?

I ask this question because of two main reasons:

1. Some research of mine shows that streaming apps essentially broadcast their content for smaller screens. Regardless of the quality that you chose on your app (4K, 1080p, etc.), the output is designed for viewing on a tablet or phone and not on a 65 inch QLED screen.

I have personally experienced this lower quality of a football game being streamed on a LaLiga app compared to the same match streamed on the Movistar Plus+ channel through cable, back in Spain.

2. A lot of houses/flats in London have satellite dishes installed out of their windows. Related to my observation in the earlier point, can I "opt" to install a satellite dish for my tv box and not be compelled to depend on the internet for my tv? If yes, what are the factors that I need to consider before I make this decission?

Apologies for the long question and hope you could answer.

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Re: Does the EE TV Box Pro use the internet to stream live channels?

All the IP channels are streamed at the highest quality, some sport in UHD and or HDR. EETV uses multicast streaming for their services rather than the usual Unicast, ie all app based streams. You have the option to stream a selection of Freeview channels, (many in HD), or connect an aerial to receive the full selection of Freeview channels. You cannot use a satellite dish at all.

Message 3 of 13

Your research is very outdated as this hasn't been the case with streaming platforms for years. Even Sky are winding down their satellite services in favour of IP distribution now. 

Also, as the broadband connections within people's homes get faster and digital compression gets better, service providers can start offering higher quality as demonstrated by the streaming platforms now pushing out full UHD with HDR and Dolby Atmos, combine this with a big TV and the results are outstanding. Football and F1 looks particularly good in UHD HDR.

Message 4 of 13

Thank you, a few clarifying questions:

1. Will the Freeview channels (assuming channels like the BBC) be included in my Sports package (£16)?
2. If my new house does not have an aerial, is it possible to install one? How much would that cost?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 13

Thank you for your reply.

Quite frankly, I do not understand how advanced tv technology is actually compelling users to depend on a broadband service to watch live tv.

This is an honest question but would the Fibre67 be enough for someone to have a video call from one room and me to watch F1 in UHD with HDR and Dolby Atmos in another room?

Call me nomadic but if EE expects users to use broadband for its TV, pay for each service separately, and then designs its technology in a way that it is totally interdependent, then why charge separately?

A TV source should be independent of the internet. In essence, you should not be compelled to use "apps" to watch live tv.

Consider this a rant because I have already chosen EE and begin my subscription in a few days.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 13

Whether you consider you need an aerial is dependent on the channels you feel are important to you. These are the channels that EETV stream to your box, (all are recordable). Just check them against your subscription. 

List of channels on EE TV (Internet mode) – TVCL – TV Channel Lists

Message 7 of 13

Thank you.

So when I get my tv box installed, I should ideally receive every channel from this list that says "Free-to-air" and the remaining that says "Sport HD4K" as part of my package?

And if I understand correctly, I can "free-up" some of my broadband by opting to watch the free-to-air channels on aerial and not depend on the Fibre67 for everything(?)

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 13

That's correct, but only when viewing an internet delivered channel is your speed affected. With an aerial you will receive the full list of channels, depending on your location, (but minus some HD channels). You can check by putting in your postcode here.

Freeview | All your favourite TV shows, all in one place and all for free

I believe BT has a deal for aerial installation, but as I'm no longer a subscriber perhaps someone else can point you in the right direction. 

Message 9 of 13

Is there any particular reason why you are asking the same questions here @Joe15 that you have already asked and had answered in detail on the EE community?

https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/TV/Does-the-EE-TV-Box-Pro-use-the-internet-to-stream-live-channels/m-p... 

————————————————————-
BT Smart Hub 2 | Halo 3+ | Digital Voice | EE TV Pro | Sky Q | Apple TV 4K | LG OLED
Message 10 of 13

Yes, sorry about that.

I asked the question in both threads because I wasnt sure who would answer.

But both threads had reverts and then more questions arose.

Should I delete both of these threads?

Sorry again.

0 Ratings