cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

EE TV through aerial

Hi just got EE tv full works package ( not set it up yet) and wondered if I connect through an aerial instead of wifi can I still get sky sports (now tv) and tnt sports or are they only available through wifi/internet connection.? Thank you. 

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: EE TV through aerial

The aerial vs internet option is for freeview channels there are some differences on what that will get you - aerial getting you more channels and ability to record more shows at once.

To get any of your paid for content you need an I ternet connection there are no ways around this. Also without an Internet connection you cannot set the box up at all

• The box is wireless up to around 5 meters for a good connection (although I have heard of them running a greater distance without issue and shorter with) if the distance between the hub and tv box is too far you can get a set of power line adapters for free which link them via the home electronics providing both boxes are on the same electric circuit
Message 3 of 7

https://ee.co.uk/help/tv-sport/manage-use/modes
This explains the difference between the 2 set up options.
Message 4 of 7

Basically, all your Freeview can come down via aerial but subscription based content such as NOWTV Provided Sky Sports channels and TNT Sports on the EPG will come down via the internet, notably those subscription channels will come down via Multicast. Multicast traffic is more sensitive than your normal internet traffic, it is a direct stream which does not buffer on the end user device. With this in mind I always recommend using wired ethernet to connect the box to the router, not powerlines, not wifi, not MESH, not anything but a direct link (via a switch is fine of course). This is by far and away your best chance at watching content without issues. Now with that said, im sure many still are fine using wireless. With YouTube or Netflix for example...the quality of your connection can fluctuate but the end user device will rely on its buffer so you may not notice any issues, this is Unicast. Multicast TV will pixelate and go all funky when packets are lost as it doesnt have the same buffering on the end user device where it can compensate.

You can run the box in Internet ONLY mode which will also bring down the Freeview Channels via the internet in the same way the subscription channels ALWAYS do.  Then you do not need an aerial at all. What is to be noted here is that the Freeview channels you get are then via BT and the ones they have decided to package up, you may not get all the channels that you would via aerial. I did see someone say the other day that actually Channels 1-4 are in better quality when in Internet Mode.

Personally I like Internet Only mode, means there is nothing on my roof but aerial mode is a good alternative, but as pointed out, the box still needs a solid internet hook up for the Sky Sports and TNT Sports channels as these do not come via aerial.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BT900 | Nokia ONT | Ubiquiti ER-X | EETV Box Pro (IP Mode) | Unifi CK2 | 6x Unifi U6+ | 2x Unifi SAK Ultra
Message 5 of 7

@Brucemeister5 @simon1946 

I regard the information about U in that link as rather misleading.

While you can certainly get catchup, that app does not offer the live U channels 😢

—————————————————————————————————————
*** Longtime YouView box owner, BT Broadband customer, finally an EE TV subscriber ***
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Thank you, all up and running now. 

Message 7 of 7

0 Ratings