cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Eero Pro 6 & BT TV

Go to solution

So I’ve seen mention of Eero not supporting Multicast/IGMP and have just received my YouView box today for BT TV… am I going to have to cancel my TV service (assuming I can)?

I’ve been using Eero with BT FTTP for a while now and would really rather not use a BT Hub — if Eero isn’t compatible with BT TV, would be good to confirm so I can enquire about cancelling my service.

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Eero Pro 6 & BT TV

Go to solution

I’m sure one of the BT team could point you in the right direction for cancelling. If you’re within your cooling off period then you can simply cancel… after that and you’re tied in - they may offer to waive the contract - but I’m not sure this is BTs fault.

As far as they’re concerned they’ve given you all the things you need to use the service - outside of that, there’s no support.

If you do want to look at workarounds, you’ll need a 3rd party router that can pass multicast packets, or use your BT Hub with a daisy chain.

Unfortunately I’m in exactly the same boat.

I have the BT Hub connected to the ONT and pass that to a switch through Eero… then connect the TV box to the Hubs’s WiFi SSID.

I’ve not had any problems so far, but agree it’s far from ideal.

I think you might be looking in the wrong place for a perfect solution - it’s Eero that hasn’t included multicast - Googling Eero ‘BT TV’ should give you more than a dozen threads with the same issue.

Hopefully Eero will get their act together soon. Until then we’re stuck.

Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

Decided I’d give the Smart Hub 2 a test before cancelling (still in cooling off) — not sure I’m setting this correctly though as I’m still seeing the same IPC6023 error.

current configuration is SH2 connected to ONT with wireless disabled. Eero wired to SH2 and everything else connecting to the network wirelessly via Eero which is in bridge mode… is this not the recommended setup?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

@davemcnally 

I think you need the SH2 in bridge mode, not the eero.

Also note:-

https://community.bt.com/t5/Archive-Staging/BT-Sport-Error-code-IPC6023/m-p/2143557#M1243321

which indicates the error here is multicast not working.

Which might be because the wrong router is bridged, or it might indicate the eero can’t support, or isn’t configured for, multicast.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

@davemcnally 

You need to connect the Pro Box to the SH2.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

Oh interesting! I knew the error is Multicast related which the Eero doesn’t support which is the reason for using the SH2 but assumed Eero would need to be bridged, will try bridging the SH2 instead!

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

Ah… if the Pro Box needs to connect directly to SH2, I’m assuming I’d need to keep the wireless enabled there and double-Nat the Eero for everything else.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

@Midnight_Voice   Bridge mode is not available on the SH2.

@davemcnally IPC6023 does indeed indicate a multicast problem. You don't say how the TV box is connected to the SH2, if it's connected by an ethernet cable and you're getting this error then it could be an account problem which only BT can sort out.

If you're using the Eero Wi-Fi to connect the TV box then it still comes down to the Eero.

If you're using powerline or mini connectors then they can also cause that problem.

Your best bet is to take the Eero out of the equation completely and see if the error disappears with just the SH2 and an ethernet cable to the TV box 

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

So I have BT TV working now. Solution I’ve gone with is to enable wireless on both SH2 and Eero, double-Nat on the Eero. Pro Box connects via wireless directly to SH2 and everything else connects through Eero

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

Also worth noting that I’ve managed to get this working with an Asus ZenWifi XT8 — WITHOUT the SH2… since the XT8 supports Multicast, a quick config and I now have a mesh setup fully working with BT TV without the Smart Hub connected at all!

Guess I can sell the Eero now 😅

Tags (3)
0 Ratings