cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

How to get Freeview Internet Channels

Hi, I have a YouView box from a couple of years ago - settings say the model is DTRT4000 and manufacturer is Humax. There are a lot of channels in the Guide menu that are blank or say something like "connect to the internet for more Freeview channels". Is there any way I can get these through the box? I have an aerial connected to the box which the Freeview channels come through, but I also have an Ethernet connected for the online channels like Comedy Central and the different apps like Netflix. So can these Freeview Channels be set to come through the internet instead of aerial? Is there a more recent box that does this? Thanks!

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: How to get Freeview Internet Channels

The channels you're referring to are referred to as MHEG or HbbTV channels - they're not available on any EE TV box.
If you upgrade to our latest TV Box, you'd have the option to remove your TV aerial but the channels you'd receive would be a subset of the channels you already get via aerial. You can see the full list here: https://www.bt.com/help/tv/guide/ip-freeview-guide
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Okay sure, thanks for the help!

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

@ClareRM 

Presumably, you are watching the YouView box on a TV. If it’s a smart TV, you can get these channels on that.

If you don’t have it tuned in however, and maybe don’t even have an aerial cable going into it, you can get a male-to-female aerial cable, and run it from the YouView box to the TV to pass the aerial signal on.

(I know these are internet channels and don’t come over the aerial, but I think you still need to do an aerial tuning to set them up. BICBW).

And you may need to set the smart TV to work over WiFi, or perhaps Ethernet.

Set Passthrough to Yes/On in the YouView box Settings, so this will work even when your YouView box is in standby.

Then you will be able to watch these channels; though you may find you weren’t missing much by not having them 😛

—————————————————————————————————————
*** Longtime YouView box owner, BT Broadband customer, finally an EE TV subscriber, but with a few issues still to be ironed out ***
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

@Midnight_Voicewrote:

@ClareRM 

Presumably, you are watching the YouView box on a TV. If it’s a smart TV, you can get these channels on that.

If you don’t have it tuned in however, and maybe don’t even have an aerial cable going into it, you can get a male-to-female aerial cable, and run it from the YouView box to the TV to pass the aerial signal on.

(I know these are internet channels and don’t come over the aerial, but I think you still need to do an aerial tuning to set them up. BICBW).

And you may need to set the smart TV to work over WiFi, or perhaps Ethernet.

Set Passthrough to Yes/On in the YouView box Settings, so this will work even when your YouView box is in standby.

Then you will be able to watch these channels; though you may find you weren’t missing much by not having them 😛

I have a feeling that an aerial needs to be connected to view these channels at all times, even though they are in effect streamed. Without a working EPG, I don't think they will work.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

@Hunter2660 @ClareRM 

Yes - just pulled the onward aerial lead to my TV off the YouView box, thus depriving the TV of a signal. The EPG still worked, though, and I was able to navigate to 264, Alaraby, and select it. But I got the No Signal page instead.

Plugged the onward lead back into the YouView box, thus restoring the aerial signal to the TV, and the Alaraby opening page came up without me touching anything else. And I was able to go into it, and get the internet channels provided.

Checked, for completeness, that I couldn’t open this channel on the YouView box. Since 263, SBN, is accessible from a YouView box, though I think it’s the only one of this group of internet channels that is.

—————————————————————————————————————
*** Longtime YouView box owner, BT Broadband customer, finally an EE TV subscriber, but with a few issues still to be ironed out ***
0 Ratings