cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

IPC6023 - Repeat Fault

Hi all, 

I have FTTP, with the full employee tv package. Using TV Box Pro & BT Smart Hub 3 (yes, 3 - with PPoE credentials bthomehub@btbroadband & bt). 

It's a wired connection to the box. All my LAN cables are in good working order.  I've also tried a Wireless connection to the hub to no avail. 

The ONT, Hub & Box are all within 1m of each other. 

I'm getting in excess of 600mbps down & over 100mbps up regularly. My tv box is in internet mode as my aerial is disconnected & 99% of the time the live tv service is fine including UHD. 

For at least the 5th time now, I've switched on to tune in to the footy & got IPC6023. This has happened on and off for probably the last year; including when I was using the original BT Smart Hub 2. 

All the apps work absolutely fine, Discovery, Now, Netflix, iPlayer etc. All my other devices have internet access & the speed is absolutely fine. 

Pre-empting the usual script from support, I have power cycled my ONT, my hub & tv box - to no avail. 

I even had a CUBE engineer come out about 4 months ago at the last instance of the fault & he couldn't find any issue. 

I'm a BT Business Field Engineer myself so I do know a thing or two about connectivity & I'm confident enough to say the fault is not with my equipment or setup as it works most of the time & then with no change at home, it throws up the dreaded IPC6023. 

I've even looked in to firewall rules for multicast packets, tried adding the box pro to a DMZ on my hub, gave it a static IP etc but nothing works ... except just leaving it and then all of a sudden, days later it works again. 

Very frustrating that whenever I log a fault, I get told to do the same things (including a process that wipe's my recordings) - but it keeps coming back. The issue is multicast, pure and simple. 

Please help..!?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: IPC6023 - Repeat Fault

Its possible for IPC6023 faults to relate to equipment outside the property and it looks like you've done everything you can try to resolve whats inside the property.

Would be interesting to see what would happen when you get this error if you were to put the SH2 immediately back in the loop, the SH3 is a business router isnt it? Surprises me it would even have Multicast capability anyway, I actually dont know but pretty sure business customers cant order TV with their package so why would a router for business be configured or setup correctly for IPTV?

Im not ignoring the fact you mentioned it used to happen on the SH2 also.

There is a chap on here who is soon to be leaving who may agree you have done everything you can internally, he can also check logs at BT end and may be able to get a ticket raised or direct you in how to get one raised.

@DarrenDev if he hasnt left yet...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BT900 | Nokia ONT | Ubiquiti ER-X | EETV Box Pro (IP Mode) | Unifi CK2 | 6x Unifi U6+ | 2x Unifi SAK Ultra
Message 3 of 7

I agree regarding the business hub compatibility, I'd have switched back to SH2 if the issue was every day but I've been using it for well over 6 months now and live TV works almost all of the time.

There's not even been a firmware release in the past few days that could have affected things.

I reluctantly factory reset the TV box last night and that's not resolved the issue. I'll reconnect the SH2 after work to see if any change, but it would be good to get some diagnostics on the connection to the property to see if multicast is actually still transmitting to me. Thanks for response and tagging

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

You're not going to see logs your end on an ISP provided router, so unfortunately you will need to rely on help from BT/EE, im not sure how much extra the SH3 has, Ive not seen its GUI.

I use a 3rd party router with my IPTV from BT so its possible to see the multicast packets going between interfaces and spot any issues with the router or external service, if youre clever enough and the SH3 allows for it then maybe you could check.

Issue for support however is that they wont support the SH3 or troubleshoot it so you are best keeping the SH2 connected until this is resolved.

Just to re-iterate, I dont know what the expected behaviour of the SH3 should be with IPTV and if it has worked then thats great, problem is if its not properly configured for Multicast you cant really predict what the outcome will be, but then I dont know if it is or isnt.....Generally speaking attaching a router to the ONT that isnt setup for Multicast TV will just either not work or do weird things if it does work.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BT900 | Nokia ONT | Ubiquiti ER-X | EETV Box Pro (IP Mode) | Unifi CK2 | 6x Unifi U6+ | 2x Unifi SAK Ultra
Message 5 of 7

I can confirm that multicast stopped reaching your TV Box around 5am yesterday (Oct 1st), which is causing your complete outage at the moment @DanDanTheManMan - this suggests a configuration fault outside your home (assuming you were changing any wiring inside your home at the time).

Your TV Box runs a tiny test every 20-30 minutes - all day, every day.  This gives us a very good picture of how well your service is running.

Looking back over the last 6 months, I can see you've had a few periods of total loss - ranging from 30 minutes, up to 4 days each time.  It could be that you turned the TV Box off or disconnected your broadband for a few days - I can't easily tell.

Looking in more detail over the last 30 days, your box has been receiving multicast consistently, but it is showing IPC6023 errors almost every evening - this suggests a bandwidth issue, separate to this current outage.  It would be unusual for this to be outside the home - especially on FTTP.  I would be looking at possible internal issues first, if I were investigating this.

With that said - I'm no longer able to get involved with IPC6023 errors.  I'm afraid you'll need to call the helpdesk on this - insist that it's raised to TMC for further analysis, as it can be clearly seen that this is a long term intermittent fault.  Don't allow them to send an engineer - it won't help.

Note: the enterprise hub isn't supported, but will work fine (I used one myself for many months when trialling it before launch).  That's not the cause of this issue.

Message 6 of 7

Many thanks @DarrenDev for the insight and your time looking at it. I did spend a while on to TV help live chat last night who said he'd pass it to TMC but I can't see a fault logged on my account in the BT App. Guessing I'll have to ring in and raise it again. 

Will post the outcome or any updates I get.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

See the connected issue here: https://community.bt.com/t5/EE-TV-YouView/IPC6023-Error/m-p/2408630#M81459
I've added this comment:

Sorry for my brief reply earlier. I've raised a fault internally for further investigation, as I'm concerned that many others in your area may be affected. As it's internal-only, you'll not be able to see it or trace progress.
If you're happy for me to update you via this forum then there's no need to call. If you'd like an individual fault reference then you'll need to call the helpdesk.

0 Ratings