cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

My BT TV Box loses connection every night

Every day when switching on my TV box, it has no connection to the internet and i need to remove and reattach the cable linking it to the BT Hub. It is then fine until the next day. It has been like this since we've had it (Dec 22) and had a few people look into it but with no soulution. Please help and advise peoples. Thanks. 

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: My BT TV Box loses connection every night

Hi @Cheesehead, welcome to the forum and thanks for your post. Sorry you're having this issue. 

Have you tried changing the lead to see if the issue persists?

Cheers

John

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

Hi. Yeah, tried that a few times, no luck, 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

Hi @Cheesehead what type of box do you have and is it directly connected to the hub?

If you see any any error codes it would be useful to know which ones.

Errors such as YVM102  indicate the box can't see the Hub at all, while with a YVM104, then the hub is there but for some reason the box can't see beyond it which it needs to do to get streaming services and the extra TV channels.

I'll drop you a line to get some more info and to see if we can work out what might be causing the issue. 

thanks

David

Message 5 of 10

Thank you, will get the info for you later today. 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

Hi All. The problem is back, and if I'm honest it never really went away for long. Almost every time I turn the box on, there is nothing and i need to disconnect and reconnect the cable at the hub. 

I have tried different ports, cables and so on but the problem persists. 

This will be the reason I do not renew my contract at the end of the year, it is so frustrating.

Any help will be gratefully received (again)

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

@Cheesehead 

Does everything else in the house remain connected to the router OK, and it’s just the TV box that doesn’t?

Is anything else in the house wired by Ethernet to the router, or just this TV box? If not, can you try wiring something else by Ethernet, to see if that gets the issue also?

Have you got a direct Ethernet connection TV box to router, or are you using PowerLine adapters?

Have you been advised to reboot or reset the TV box?

Have you been offered a replacement TV box and/or router?

What was the info that you sent in November 2023, at least whatever of it could reasonably be made public?

There is all sorts of advice that could be offered if this was a new problem you had just had, but as it has been ongoing so long we really need a list of what has been tried, so we don’t just repeat suggestions which have failed in the past 😢

—————————————————————————————————————
*** Longtime YouView box owner, BT Broadband customer, finally an EE TV subscriber ***
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

Hi, thanks for the reply

in answer:

Everything else is connected fine and never loses connection. Just the TV box. 

The only other thing I have connected is a  Deco nest system as my signal is weak upstairs but this is  also fine and never loses connection (if it does it must reconnect automatically as I've never noticed it going off) Everything else is Wireless, just the TV box is on Ethernet connection. Will connect my laptop later and see what happens.  

It's a direct Ethernet connection TV box to router. 

Always advised to reboot the box, check upgrades etc

Have not been offered a replacement TV box and/or router. 

Only info I've sent before is box serial number as far as i can recall anyway. 

Thanks for the help

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

@Cheesehead 

While it’s connected, go into Settings/Broadband Connection/Advanced on the TV box, and make a note of each IP address and other values there. 

Next time it happens, before doing anything else, go into Settings/Broadband Connection on the TV box, and see if it thinks you are connected, and have an IP address or not.

Then go into Advanced, Edit Connection, try Automatic and see if you can connect; if not, go into Manual, set the values you made a note of above, and see if that remakes the connection.

And report back.

We once had a Samsung TV that wouldn’t retain automatic connection settings; Samsung couldn’t help, but we found that if we set the details manually, it would retain them. So we never sent it back…

Not that you necessarily have that exact same issue, but the results of the above suggested course of action may be illuminating.

—————————————————————————————————————
*** Longtime YouView box owner, BT Broadband customer, finally an EE TV subscriber ***
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

cool, thank you, will try that and report back

0 Ratings