cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 14

Setting up ee rv bix with wifi and aerial

Go to solution

If  I want to set up a new EE tv box with both wifi and as backup an aerial, do i just plug the aerial in to the box's aerial input and then use another length of aerial to connect the box's aerial output to the TV aerial input?  That seems the logical process..  

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14

Re: Setting up ee rv bix with wifi and aerial

Go to solution

I think so, but you won't need to do that. You can just set it up in aerial mode and that way you will get all freeview channels on the box via aerial, but all your sky channels would come over wifi as well.

If you set up the box in internet mode, you won't get all Freeview channels sadly.

Internet mode free to air channel guide | BT Help | BT Help

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 14

Go to solution

If you mean that you want Freeview in both IP mode and aerial mode as backup then No! it's like they say -  you can't have your cake and eat it,

You choose your preference when you set the box up and the only way to change it is to do a factory reset and repeat the setup procedure

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 14

Go to solution

Many thanks, will just have to leave the aerial in the TV then and switch input sources as I do with Sky. 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 14

Go to solution

@teah @Les-Gibson @c64z86 

My box (not a Pro box) is set up with an aerial cable from wall to box, and a further aerial cable, female to male, from the box to the TV. And a setting on the box to say I’m using aerial out, which ensures the Aerial Out stays powered, even in deep sleep.

I do this because we usually watch the broadcast channels on the TV, rather than the YouView box. The YouView box would give us Pause and Rewind Live TV if we used it though,

Some people don’t use the Aerial Out cable, which means that the TV can’t show broadcast channels, and watch everything via the YouView box. They get Pause and Rewind Live TV all the time. If they want their TV to show broadcast channels,, they will need another aerial cable from the wall to the TV set. You can buy little splitters so you can serve both YouView box and TV from one aerial point, but you need your TV signal to be strong enough to do that.

If you have a Multiroom box or boxes, you have to do that with them.

The Pro box brings some new options; you can connect it to your router with an Ethernet cable, or use WiFi. Previous boxes always needed an Ethernet cable.

Quite separately from this, you can now choose to use broadcast TV, as above, or IP TV, for which you don’t need an aerial, though not every Freeview channel is covered by this. If you want your TV to be able to show the broadcast channels when your Pro box is in IP Mode, you can run your aerial direct to this, bypassing the Pro box completely.

I don’t know if you can still use the Aerial In/Aerial Out wiring arrangement on a Pro box in IP Mode, though. There’s no need to, but I can’t see why it wouldn’t still work if you wanted it that way.

—————————————————————————————————————
*** Longtime YouView box owner, BT Broadband customer, finally an EE TV subscriber ***
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 14

Go to solution

@Midnight_Voice 

You say "I don’t know if you can still use the Aerial In/Aerial Out wiring arrangement on a Pro box in IP Mode", the point of my post was to tell the OP that you can't.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 14

Re: Setting up EE TV box with IP Mode and Aerial In/Out

Go to solution

@Les-Gibson 

I thought that might be what you said, but I wasn’t entirely certain.

So for the avoidance of doubt, if I plug an aerial cable into the Aerial In of a Pro box in IP Mode, then nothing will ever appear on the Aerial Out; the function by which the otherwise untouched signal from the TV Aerial is amplified a little and then relayed from Aerial Out, is suppressed?

I trust there is a good technical reason for that?

*** Longtime YouView box owner, BT Broadband customer, finally an EE TV subscriber ***
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 14

Go to solution

@Midnight_Voice 

"Our TV Box Pro is the only box where you can watch your favourite shows in two ways. Either over the internet or using an aerial, whichever works best for you."

About Aerial and Internet Modes on EE TV | BT Help

Is there a good technical reason for it? You're asking the wrong person

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 14

Go to solution

@Les-Gibson 

Sorry, perhaps I should have asked “Anyone know a good technical reason for that?”

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 14

Go to solution

I read on cordbusters this week that freely will be a hybrid setup when it's launched and, you will be able to buy freely as a separate box for your TV at some point after launch.

So that's another weakness for EE TV potentially and direct competition. 

0 Ratings