cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 33

Very old youview T1000's internet withdrawal

Go to solution

The recent Youview announcement states that internet features will no longer work for the T1000 models.  https://support.youview.com/end-of-support-for-humax-t1000/

Does this include resets, or for units that do not have the latest T10X0 software the ability to update?

I.e. Will a T10X0 with latest component software for the T10X0 be able to reset?

b867bc64-3baa-49cc-83ec-1c97dd933746.jpg

I.e. Will a T10X0 with component software 1.7.4 be able to update? There are 3 "New" T10X0 units currently for sale on a well known auction website.

185b3288-deb2-45df-b8af-1cc6a3c0200c croped.jpg

0 Ratings
32 REPLIES 32
Message 2 of 33

Re: Very old youview T1000's internet withdrawal

Go to solution

In theory the Factory Reset and some of the maintenance mode resets use a locally stored system image to restore to. However I do recall that YouView did  make a change ( not sure whether it applied  to the T10X0 range of boxes) that an internet connect was required during a box setup  ( for example to accept YouView terms and conditions)  and rather ominously say

https://support.youview.com/youview-box/box-and-remote/factory-reset-your-box/

“Before doing a factory reset
Make sure your box is connected to the internet. If your box isn’t connected to the internet, you won’t be able to complete the setup and use your box.”

As for updating a box that has very ancient software  to the latest I suspect that there would be issues particularly if the resident software predates the switch to YouView next Generation that occurred c 2016.

I must stress these are only my views.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 33

Go to solution
Why would you even consider wanting to buy such ancient hardware? They're painfully slow, to the point that I would personally consider them unusable.
Internet services will cease to operate on them regardless of current software version.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 33

Go to solution

@Lսkе 

Soft resets will work, Maintenance Mode resets won’t.

T10x0 boxes haven’t been updated since 2016, and won’t be ever again.

However, the UI on T10x0 boxes is much more suited to internet-less operation than later boxes, as it never moved away from the original text-based UI.

And it should be no slower on the basics of recording and replaying than it was on 2012, though perhaps we’ve all got more impatient since then.

I really must get mine out of storage, though, and finish watching the recordings on it 😛

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 33

Go to solution

@Midnight_Voice  Thanks for replying, but the first image was taken from a T1000 that had even older component software and was updated to its current version of 3.3.168 after 2017 when it was connected to the internet. I think that was circa 2021.

If I connect the T1000 that has 1.7.4 to the internet, before 28th February, are you saying that it won't update?  I suspect it would update until 28th February, on the basis that the other box updated, even if that was 2 or 3 years ago.  My question is of someone who has not the latest version of the T1000 component software connects to the internet after 28th February whether or not it would update. 

In the mean time boxes that are not connected to the internet and have pre 2017 software can be reset just fine and that it includes the box room which the second image was taken. I reset the box from the youview menu at the weekend.

@zulu17Thanks for replying. I thing this post also covers your conjecture.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 33

Go to solution

I've checked with the hardware team:
Devices will be issued an updated configuration that removes all network services - i.e. players, IP channels, TV Guide data, etc.
Devices will also be blocked from accessing any YouView or BT online services, so even if they don't pick up the config, they'll still be blocked from connecting.
Factory resets will still work OK, including internet recovery (which will update to the latest version). Firmware is delivered direct from Humax - this won't be blocked on the 28th, but we can't say how long Humax will continue to allow downloads.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 33

Go to solution

Sounds like that will put the box on a par with my old Digitalstream Freeview PVR. Except my trusty old Dizzy lets me set fixed time recordings with flexible repeat options so is handy for occasions like tonight when I can set a timer for an FA Cup replay that encompasses any possible extra time and penalties and so the actual length of the recording does not give away that there *was* any extra time and penalties whereas an "Accurate Recording" automatically extended recording would give it away and counts as a spoiler for me.

Yes, that bee in my bonnet about not allowing fixed time recording is still buzzing even after all these years as an original Youview trialist.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 33

Go to solution

@Lսkе 

Sorry, I took that ‘will’ to mean after the shutdown date. Yes indeed, up to that date you can certainly move a T10x0 to the latest update available, a 2016 one. Just not afterwards.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 33

Go to solution

@DarrenDev 

Just to clarify that hopefully it’s EPG metadata that will stop; extra information from YouView that augments the broadcast data. But the broadcast data will continue.

Still no explanation as to why the apps will stop, if the box is going to retain some residual internet capability.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 33

Go to solution
Yes - only the enhanced EPG data and images will stop. Data provided over the aerial will still be shown.

Apps don't exist unless YouView configuration says they do (i.e. that they're available to that hardware in that location) - so if the box can no longer talk to YouView, then the apps can't be offered.

Also, the apps have had to maintain legacy code to keep these boxes running for the last few years. That code and infrastructure is being removed, so many apps will stop working.

Finally, it's considered bad security practice to leave unsupported devices running on the internet - if no-one is monitoring them anymore for security vulnerability then an exploit could cause them to run rogue and cause untold damage. There are plenty of examples out there of old hardware being exploited to then either cause damage to the device itself (e.g. wiping itself), or being set up as bots to then attack other services. For this box in particular, what if someone found an exploit that enabled them to upload unsavoury content to the box, which kids or grandkids are then exposed to? Forcing the boxes offline reduces the risk considerably - i.e. those with physical access to the box, or the LAN it's connected to.