cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 26

Re: What am I watching? (BBC Red Button HDR)

@naylor2006 it's 1080p/50 with HLG HDR...  Looks very good though 👍🏻

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 26

So what is ITV then?

Point is this BBC HDR stuff is crisper then NowTV with boost which is supposed to be 1080p. HLG is not making anything more crisp but the BBC HDR mode looks better than the 1080p I’m used to.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BT900 | Nokia ONT | Ubiquity ER-X | EETV Box Pro (IP Mode) | Unifi CK2 | 6x Unifi U6+ | 2x Unifi SAK Ultra
0 Ratings
Message 13 of 26

@naylor2006 ITV is 1080p/50 but no HDR. 

The HDR makes a huge difference by opening up the colour pallet... I've stolen the info below from t'interweb 

HDR works by increasing the bit depth of color in each pixel. Standard images have 8 bits (resulting in 256 brightness levels), while HDR uses 10, 12 or even 16 bits. This allows accurate reproduction of a wide range of brightness, from dark shadows to dazzling reflections

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 26

I've tried the supposed iPlayer HDR twice now & found no difference at all to the Freeview broadcast on my  Samsung TV. Haven't tried the Pro Box yet.

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 26

Okay then it’s my ignorance then, I accept what HDR does, I just thought it couldnt make an entire moving image crisper.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BT900 | Nokia ONT | Ubiquity ER-X | EETV Box Pro (IP Mode) | Unifi CK2 | 6x Unifi U6+ | 2x Unifi SAK Ultra
0 Ratings
Message 16 of 26

Haha no worries. If you're bored one night, have a look at what 4K and HDR can do on YouTube 

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 26

Its night and day, I don’t have another device to try, can’t find the HDR feed on my ATV.

Trust me, it looks so much better, it is not far off TNT Sports Ultimate, at least some of the feeds this season.

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 26

ITV will be 1080i in SDR - and for some reason quite a delay for a live broadcast. They always do for live football.

ITV is stuck in the dark ages.    It took them ages to get HD. They've never done UHD and/or HDR. In fact they don't even do 5.1 audio.

Even Britbox US is now doing HDR.

@naylor2006wrote:

So what is ITV then?

Point is this BBC HDR stuff is crisper then NowTV with boost which is supposed to be 1080p. HLG is not making anything more crisp but the BBC HDR mode looks better than the 1080p I’m used to.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Fibre 2 Unlimited using EE Smart Hub 2 with EE TV Box Pro (UHD/HDR) in IP mode.
0 Ratings
Message 19 of 26

Don’t get me wrong, generally I’m clued up on it, I’ve had 4K before HDR was even a thing, yeah I was one of those guys with a 4K non HDR TV….I adopted HDR early also.

I think here the problem is I’ve never seen 1080p HDR before, only ever in conjunction with 4K.

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 26

@naylor2006 ahh gotcha. I'd only heard of it when Amazon showed Star Trek Discovery in 1080p HDR... Didn't realise it was a thing before then 

0 Ratings